Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions with conversions displaying as "not set/not set"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have recently switched all our landing pages to Unbounce and since the switch we have noticed that sessions which convert on Unbounce landing pages are being split into two in our reports:

• First session shows the original source/medium & "0" conversions
  • Second session shows "not set/not set" & "1" conversion

This is skewing all the conversion data in our reports. More information on our current setup:

• Unbounce landing pages are hosted on a sub-domain of our primary domain
  • Both are set up with the same GA tracking code
  • Referral exclusions are set up for the sub-domain and the primary domain

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is occurring? Has anyone had this experience with their Unbounce implementation on a subdomain.

If you need any more information to look into this, I would be happy to provide this. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom F
July 2016

Re: Sessions with conversions displaying as "not set/not set"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Yes, I have actually raised the issue with Unbounce as well. They have confirmed that our analytics setup is correct for their platform. I am currently waiting to hear back from them with any suggestions on their end.

Yes. By looking at a combination of minute index/city secondary dimensions etc. it is pretty clear that these "not set" sessions are actually from the same visit as another session. None of the "not set" sessions are "new sessions" either which further supports this theory.

I have followed you instructions for Tag Assistant and I believe I have spotted this issue! I noticed on the report that two sessions were indeed being triggered. I also noticed that the "Document Location URL" for the start of the second session contained "utm_source: " "utm_medium: " etc. with no values. This was triggering the new session because the campaign changed.

These utm parameters were set up as hidden fields on the form to submit source and medium through to Unbounce and our CRM in real time. In hindsight I can see how this was not the best idea!

Thanks for your help though, your advice to use Tag Assistant was what helped me spot the issue.
Tom

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Great to hear from you. Smiley Happy

What's added to your referral exclusion list? Only your own domain?
Do you have "cookieDomain : auto" (it should be the default value if you use the default GA snippet)? If you're using GTM, you need to implement it separately.

Could you please share your landing page and website URL? It's a bit easier to debug it then. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Thanks for your quick response. Primary domain is hrmsworld.com and an example landing page is http://specialreports.hrmsworld.com/hrms-software-selection-checklist/

The exclusion list has:
- hrmsworld.com
- specialreports.hrmsworld.com
- www.hrmsworld.com

I believe we are just using the default GA snippet and as far as I can tell we have "cookieDomain: auto" in place.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Have you gone through this documentation (http://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/203509974-Integrating-with-Google-Analytics) as well? Smiley Happy

You mentioned that:

• First session shows the original source/medium & "0" conversions
  • Second session shows "not set/not set" & "1" conversion

How did you figure out that data? Do I understand correctly that Google Analytics created 2 separate sessions during the one visit?

Try using Tag Assistant in order to debug this issue: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

Here you can find the instructions how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zoJR6uq2g

Clear your browser's cookies first and then record the whole process and then check the results. You should attach the random GCLID parameter to the end of the URL as well then you can simulate the exact situation. Like that: http://www.yourdomain.com/?gclid=TeSting-123

However, in looking into this, try to figure out if the server is stripping or altering the GCLID parameter or not. This is the problem in most cases. Does the session changes during the process (do you see 2 different sessions in the Tag Assistant)?

To further reinforce this case, you can see what is the "dl" query parameter that is sent to the GA. Does the collect request include the correct GCLID parameter and value?

One more thing - If your server has a rewrite rule forcing everything in the URL to lowercase, this might be the reason as well. GCLID parameter should not be forced to lowercase. This might cause that problem as well. 

You can find the additional instructions here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?vid=1-635808161004089290-2890892524

It's easier to debug it if you have access to the particular Google Analytics account. I don't have an access right now that's why I tried to give you the instructions. Smiley Happy

If possible, you should discuss it with your developers as well.

Let us know how it goes. Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Taavi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom F
July 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Yes, I have actually raised the issue with Unbounce as well. They have confirmed that our analytics setup is correct for their platform. I am currently waiting to hear back from them with any suggestions on their end.

Yes. By looking at a combination of minute index/city secondary dimensions etc. it is pretty clear that these "not set" sessions are actually from the same visit as another session. None of the "not set" sessions are "new sessions" either which further supports this theory.

I have followed you instructions for Tag Assistant and I believe I have spotted this issue! I noticed on the report that two sessions were indeed being triggered. I also noticed that the "Document Location URL" for the start of the second session contained "utm_source: " "utm_medium: " etc. with no values. This was triggering the new session because the campaign changed.

These utm parameters were set up as hidden fields on the form to submit source and medium through to Unbounce and our CRM in real time. In hindsight I can see how this was not the best idea!

Thanks for your help though, your advice to use Tag Assistant was what helped me spot the issue.
Tom

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It was great to hear that. If you have any further GA related questions in the future, just let us know. Smiley Happy

All the best,
Taavi