Analytics
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Sending data to Google Analytics through Measurement Protocol

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have some issues with sending data to GA. Could you please check this out:

When users register on our website, we keep their GA client ID in our database.
Later, when a registered user makes an ecommerce transaction, we send their client ID with the transaction details to Google Analytics through Measurement Protocol.

Let's say someone had registered before and we have their client ID and let's say this user was from organic results.

Later he visits our website from other source, say CPC, I am pretty sure in our GA reports this user is shown as from CPC.

If he makes a transaction, and we send his client ID, what would be his source/medium - organic or CPC?

I mean, is sending to GA only client ID enough to "remember" this user as organic for further transactions or do we need to send source/medium data with transaction details?

Thanks,

Levon

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@Levon A,

Google Analytics works with  last non direct attribution. When you send your transaction hit via Measurement Protocol, the transaction will be associated to last known source of the user. For this reason, you need to send source/medium data with your transaction.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, Güney.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome, Levon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Güney K,

Could you please check this out, too?

I have found this report in GA -> Conversions -> Multi-Channel Funnels -> Assisted Conversions.
Here when I select "First Interaction Analysis", I can see the "First Click Conversions" and "First Click Conversion Value".
I can select the "Lookback Window" up to 90 days prior to conversion.

If I get it right, this is basically what we're looking for - it shows the first channel the user came to our website from. 
Though the only thing is if a user came before 90 days period, we may not get the "correct" channel.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Levon