AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Segment internal promotions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I would like to...

...segment sessions, in which the internal promotion with the name "XYZ" was at least once clicked.

So I...

...created a segment with the following condition: Include sessions / Internal Promotion Name equals "XYZ" AND Internal Clicks per session > 0

I was not sure if this segment will work as expected, therefore I tested it on localhost and got the following result...

...sessions which saw or clicked the internal promotion named "XYZ" AND clicked any internal promotion.

Has anyone an idea how to set up the right condition?

I was thinking about including the promotion name in the event action, then I could segment the data based on the events.

Nevertheless I would prefer a solution without changing the current implementation.

Thank you for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jked
June 2016

Re: Segment internal promotions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jked,

Great question here and a great use case. I need to look at some of my Enhanced Ecom data to properly answer this (and I can't right now) but I think you are exactly correct and one way around would be to either set a custom dimension and pass the name of the promo whenever you have a promotionClick and , as you suggest, pass to an event.

Another way may be to do a sequence based segment where at anytime you have the promo name, a promo click, and in the same session (could follow the promo click immediately) the landing page that corresponds to the promo (if there is a unique landing page.)

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jked
June 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jked,

Great question here and a great use case. I need to look at some of my Enhanced Ecom data to properly answer this (and I can't right now) but I think you are exactly correct and one way around would be to either set a custom dimension and pass the name of the promo whenever you have a promotionClick and , as you suggest, pass to an event.

Another way may be to do a sequence based segment where at anytime you have the promo name, a promo click, and in the same session (could follow the promo click immediately) the landing page that corresponds to the promo (if there is a unique landing page.)

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Theo,

Thank you for the hint regarding a sequence based segment.

The following settings worked for me (tested on localhost with dummy data):
Sequence segment + include sessions, sequence start any user interaction + STEP 1: Internal Promotion Click per hit = 1 + is immediately followed by... + STEP 2: Page exactly matches /myFortunatelyUniqueLandingPage
It seems that I do not need to specify an internal promotion name.

Cheers,
Jked