Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Segment app users from website visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

I'm new to Google Analytics and am having a bit of trouble with this issue.

I run a SAAS and I want to be able to create a segment for my web-app users (those that login to the web-application) and a separate segment for just your normal website visitors (visitors that don't/can't login).

Our website is running on a standard domain (www.yoursite.com) and our web-app is using a subdomain (app.yoursite.com).

I'm not sure if this requires me to install a cookie or if I can find a way to do this in GA using custom goals.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Segment app users from website visitors

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Vincent,

This is easily done in many ways. If you just want to truly create an advanced segment you can use the hostname dimension to specify the entire app domain or use a begins with app or a regex with ^app.

I would add pictures to help but that functionality is broken in the forum.

Edit:  here is the help reference on advanced segments:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en#create

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply.

Will I have to insert the GA tracking code into the webapp source code in order for this to work?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Vincent,

Yes, absolutely!

You must have a consistent deployment of the Google Analytics code across the top level domain and all sub domains. If you get the tracking code from the property settings (in admin) it is configured so that it will track cohesively across the entire top level domain.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn