Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Reverse Goal Path - Understanding How Someone Reached Our Thank You Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I'm stuck. I want to track the steps someone took to reach our thank you page (i.e. - did they hit our home page then Page A then our Request for More Info page then the thank you page OR did they go right to Page B then Request for More Info Page then the Thank You Page). I thought I would get that data by using Reverse Goal Path but I'm not sure that's what I need to be doing as I got the below. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reverse Goal Path - Understanding How Someone Reached Our Thank You Page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jamie,

Reverse Goal Path will give you the 3 previous steps but is not always helpful. You may want to use the User Flow report instead. Just apply a segment for users that converted and you'll see paths (in aggregate) that users take to conversion.

More on segments and user flow:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123951?hl=en

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1709395?hl=en

If you have a standard "checkout" or multi page form (I hope not) you can set up a funnel and use goal flow instead. In addition, you should be using goal values; if so, you'll get a page value metric calculated which helps you see which pages are part of the conversion flow (higher $ is better).

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,

Thank you! So this is what I'm seeing when I do that:

data.JPG

If the starting page, listed as "/thank-you-page" above, is actually the ending page I want to track how traffic got to it (as it is the thank you page for filling out a form), how would I track that? The page before it should be the /request-for-quote page (so you would hit the request for info page then the thank you page) but where someone was before that is what I'm most interested in.

Thanks Again!

Jamie

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Jamie,

This is odd that it would be a starting page. You may want to right click on that node and select group details to see if you have other pages lumped in there.  If you don't you may have a coding issue that is killing your session and beginning a new one.

If other pages are lumped in, the fix is to right click on the node for thank you page and the select, "explore traffic through here" and then add previous steps.

ss userflow explore.pngss user flow define node.png

You may also need to define the node by selecting the pencil icon and limiting the page to an exact match.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn