AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Reverse Goal Path Only Showing Final Step

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

In my GA account I'm trying to see what pages my user was visiting before reaching a goal completion page. However my "Added to cart" goal shows (entrance) as the previous step for almost all of my users, which doesn't make sense as you normally have to visit the page of the item you're purchasing to hit the add to cart button. 

The pages that have my product on them are example.com, but once you add an item to a cart you're directed to a different URL which we use to manage our online cart (So our goal conversion page is example2.ca but the page you would be on before is example1.com). I have domain referral exclusions set up for both domains, and our tag manager code on both pages. 

The only thing that is different about the Added to Cart page that I think could be possibly causing it is the way the tag manager code is implemented.. On our main domain we have both the <no script> and <script> code in the body tag of the site, while on the Added to Cart domain we only have the <script> code and it's in the header of the site.  I'm aware this isn't ideal, but I don't think this would be responsible for my current problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Ryan 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Reverse Goal Path Only Showing Final Step

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan L this usually happens if you do not have cross domain tracking set up which would mean that each time a user adds to cart and is redirected to a different domain, without cross domain support you are effectively creating a new session and a new user thus the add to cart goal previous step is not available as it is the initial hit in the session.

Hope it helps. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net