Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Revenue is inaccurate by 100-200%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our ecommerce analytics show accurate numbers for conversion rates, quantity, and numbers of transactions & unique purchases. However, the revenue numbers are inflated by 2 to 3 times what our internal records show. Our internal records are accurate, so we are puzzled and totally unsure where the problem with revenue calculation is happening in GA.

Any thoughts on where our numbers might be going amiss are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Please check if you are sending correct ecommerce data to GA, the problem should be in your ecommerce tracking implementation, GA only collects and displays the data you are sending from your site. I'd suggest to use the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension for checking what transaction details are being sent to GA. Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Adding to Arnold's answer, here's a couple of tips:

Check to see what, exactly, is causing the problem by comparing your back-end data with GA data in more detail. Not just the bottom line figures but compare transactions (hopefully they share the same ID number) and see where the numbers differ.

Is it all transactions? If so, then maybe tax or shipping is being handled incorrectly.

Only some different? Then check to see if there are certain conditions affecting those transactions e.g. mobile, certain payment type etc

Duplicate transactions? check to see if the ecommerce hit is being sent again. You can see this pretty quickly if you see the same transaction appearing more than once (use date as a secondary dimension in the transactions report and see if the same id appears more than once)...this is probably not the case if your numbers of transactions match, but worth checking. 

I cannot stress this enough - make some test transactions, as Arnold suggests use the various tools out there (I personally like GA debugger) to see what is sent to GA. Make sure that you note the transaction id so you can follow it up later.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.