AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Report similar to Site Search for Layered Navigation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm fairly new to GA and am having trouble finding answers as I don't know enough of the terminology to search efficiently. 

What I would like to be able to do is to create a report very similar to the Behavior > Site Search > Usage report but instead tracking the usage of the layered navigation on our ecommerce site. So, for example, I would like to be able to see the number/percentage of visitors who used layered navigation and who didn't, the conversion rate and revenue etc.

When the layered navigation is used the resulting page always has '/shopby/' in the URL which may help. We also use Google Tag Manager if there is a way to use this as well.

To start with it would be nice to just have the information above but if it were possible to then see how many people used more than one filter in the layered navigation and their conversion rate/revenue then that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will C
February 2016

Re: Report similar to Site Search for Layered Navigation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

let's start with the easy one:
If URL containing /shopby/ indicates that user used layered navigation you can just use Advanced Segmentation and segment all the users that visited URL containing that part in any time during their session.

Open your Google Analytics and go to any report Audience Overview for example. Find Add Segment from above the graph and press the red button that appears New segment. Then set it up like this:
https://i.imgur.com/8cBs9L1.png

If that works for you next stage would be to add event tracking to filters (unless the filters show up in the URL: ?filter1=filter&filter2=filter...)
that sends notification to Google Analytics that one or more filters have been applied...
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will C
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

let's start with the easy one:
If URL containing /shopby/ indicates that user used layered navigation you can just use Advanced Segmentation and segment all the users that visited URL containing that part in any time during their session.

Open your Google Analytics and go to any report Audience Overview for example. Find Add Segment from above the graph and press the red button that appears New segment. Then set it up like this:
https://i.imgur.com/8cBs9L1.png

If that works for you next stage would be to add event tracking to filters (unless the filters show up in the URL: ?filter1=filter&filter2=filter...)
that sends notification to Google Analytics that one or more filters have been applied...
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's great, thank you!

I've created a segment and also set a filter to not include those who entered the site via a layered navigation page.

When a filter is applied we don't have ?filter=x&... but each filter is preceded with '--'.

So here the filters Colour = grey, charcoal. Manufacturer = acme co. Size = 4xl

shopby/color--grey--charcoal/manufacturer--acme-co/standardsizex--4xl/

I'm a little rusty with RegEx but could we use the same principal to say "if contains -- once/twice/three times"? Has anyone done something similar?

Is it possible use Tag Manager for adding event tracking without the need to update the website code?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
about GTM event tracking, start from this old article and check the updates, it should be fairly straight forward.

http://cutroni.com/blog/2013/10/07/auto-event-tracking-with-google-tag-manager/

RegExp:
Do you have other elements in your url besides those filters?
If not to get your answer to how many users use more than one filter:
^\/shopby\/([a-zA-Z0-9-]+\/){2,}

According to this tester the following RegExp would match if URL has 2 or more '/filter/' elements
https://regex101.com/

Your question about auto event tracking led to funny feeling that it would be kind of redundant tracking, but it might just be me being tired. Smiley Happy
--