AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Report Traffic Flow From Domain to Sub-Domain

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I need some help / direction creating a custom segment that allows us to view the traffic flow from hueya.io to client.hueya.io. Can someone please point us in the right direction? We already have cross domain tracking configured.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this look like the correct configuration?

Hostname Step 1 = domain 

Hostname Step 2 = sub domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also,  I do not know why the reporting urls that display back into GA append the domain as shown here http://www.hueya.io/products/www.hueya.io

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Julien Coquet @Bronwyn V is this something either of your can help provide some direction with? Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Scott R :-)
as im not familiar with the account(s) or tracking needs, is there any particular reason as to why cross domain tracking is being used rather than a subdomain tracking setup?

If you are using WordPress, check in the View Settings page that there is not a default page entered (found immediately after the location/timezone settings). If so, then removing it will likely sort out the borked pages.

Also, what filters do you have applied to the View?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V, First off, thank you very much for your help and insight.

I followed this article and reviewed our configuration again: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/08/11/subdomain-tracking-google-analytics/

It looks like we did not have the cookie set to auto in GTM. This likely was having an impact. Was my reference to the following custom segment an indication of cross domain rather than subdomain tracking? 

Hostname Step 1 = domain 

Hostname Step 2 = sub domain

Would you be willing to take a quick look into our account to see our configuration and provide a recommendation? If not, I understand but am curious as to what my next step would be from here to make sure we have a reporting view to show the flow from domain to sub-domain. 

Borked Pages

I went ahead and removed the domain for the default setting in GA. Is there a way to clean-up historical reporting URL's so they do not continue to display as http://www.hueya.io/products/www.hueya.io in our reports or will this just help clean things up going forward?

Thanks a ton for your help!

Scott

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Unfortunately the historical data cannot be cleaned-up

Usually with tracking the flow between the domain and subdomain, a new View would be created and the following filter created and applied.. 

Custom Advanced Filter:
Field A > Hostname > (.*)
Field B > Request URI > (.*)
Output > Request URI > $A1$B1

This prepends the hostname to the Request URIs in the reports, so as to be able to track which domain/subdomain a pageview etc has occured on

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V Do you suggest creating a new view or applying this to our current "Reporting View"?

I'd like to be able to view our historical data as well which would require applying the filter to our current view that has been tracking.

Again, thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Usual best practice is to leave the initial View without any filters applied.
Doing this then provides an unedited copy of data should it be needed at any stage.

Filters do not work retroactively on historical data, so applying it to a new View, helps to ensure that the data going into the View is 'clean' from the beginning.

Re: Report Traffic Flow From Domain to Sub-Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V Thank you for coaching me through this. I included a screenshot of the configuration below and it appears to be working as intended.

One more question: Is there a way to add a custom segment to our historical data so we can view a historical report of our data flowing from domain to client.domain? 

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 3.17.27 PM.png