AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Remove traffic source/referral from the past, but keep user data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me start by saying I made a huge mistake.  I did try to research first, but didnt find out anything until after the fact and the damage was done.

I implimented UTM tracking on our e-commerce homepage (I KNOW, BIG NO-NO).  Once I realized this was a mistake, I removed it.  HOWEVER, this was several months ago. In GA, we are still getting revenue from users that hit our homepage at that time.  Is there a way to stop GA from assuming that our old homepage is the traffic source? Our vendor told us it should be cleared in 30 days, but we are still getting the data and its seriously screwing up our reports.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Your vendor should seriously brush up his GA skills: unless tampered with in property settings, campaign information has a lifespan of 6 months as long as visitors exposed to a traffic source come back to your site directly.

So yes, 6 months from now your stats will return to normal.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!  Is there a a way to "tamper" is property settings, or edit the data from the past(or stop going forward and retrack as new source)?  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nothing realistic. You're going to have to tough it out for now.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You could change Campaign Timeout in Property's session settings under Tracking Info in Admin Panel. But don't do it until you're 100% sure that it will not screw up your reports. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No that will not have a retroactive effect, which is what @Genetically D was asking about

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Shortening of Campaign Timeout would lead to reassinging of source / medium for affected visitors much faster than of 6 months

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

That would just end up creating confusion in visitor accounting.

It would effectively reduce campaign duration for new visitors though

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I've seen first hand the impact of shortening the campaign time-out; remember this impacts all your traffic sources resulting in a reported drop of - for example - organic sessions and an increase in direct. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.