Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Remove Referral from Confirmation Email

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to you All,

I have a website where, when the user registers for a free trial, he'll receive an email with a subscription confirmation link, which when clicked will redirect back to my page. The problem is that if the user were to complete a conversion after that, this conversion will be attributed to "user's email provider / referral", instead of the correct source / medium.

To avoid this situation I thought of excluding referral from these email providers. The problem is that there are serveral different email providers, which need to be excluded. Is there another way to do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remove Referral from Confirmation Email

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Andre W,

You could create an advanced filter that would consolidate all mail sources to "gmail.com", or "yahoo.com", etc., only.

Field A > Extract A: Campaign Source = mail(.*)\.(.*)\..{2,4}
Output to > Constuctor: Campaign Source = Webmail - $A2
check Field A Required and Override Output Field

This would group all emails into the right bucket.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure this will solve my problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The problem is that I don't wish the conversion to be attributed to a different source than the original one.

The user enters my website through "google / cpc", sign up, click on the redirect link on the confirmation email that was sent to him and then buys my software. In this case, analytics will attribute this conversion to "mail.something" / referral, instead of google / cpc, which was the one that brought that user to my page.

The solution I thought of is to add the mail.something to referral exclusion list. The problem is that there are several email providers and the referral exclusion list doesn't accept regex, only full domain, so I'd have add each one of them manually. I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just put utm_nooverride=1 in the URL of the confirmation email. Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As far as I know utm_nooverride=1 is no longer supported and despite some opinions that it was restored I couldn't make it work in my case.

However here is a great tutorial how to avoid mail referrals to screw your data (notice: Google Tag Manager is required):

http://www.metricmogul.co.uk/how-to-prevent-verification-emails-screwing-up-your-attribution-in-goog...