Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Lists based on Goals Changed due to Goal numbers changing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I created rule-based remarketing lists for my Analytics property several months ago. The rules are based on users who have or have not completed different Analytics goal conversions, which are each assigned their own number (Goal Set 3, goal set 18, etc).

However, recently new goal conversions were added to several of the Analytics views and they seem to have wreaked havoc on the previous Goal numbering system, such that goal 14 was reassigned to be goal 5, and goal 10 is now goal 14.

This means that all of my Remarketing lists are now based on goals that are irrelevant to my needs, flooding these lists with junk and overlapping users. 

How can I fix this situation? I have 20+ Remarketing lists based on goals that were now reassigned. Do I need to start over from the beginning and recreate all of my lists? Or can I somehow reassign the goal set numbers to get the goals back in place?

Thanks,

Shifra

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Lists based on Goals Changed due to Goal numbers chang

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shifra,

you will unfortunately need to update the remarketing lists with the new goal ID / create new lists - It would be good to create it via segment so at least some of the historic users will be included.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I received a different solution from Analytics staff, basically that when you create goals they are based on a specific Analytics view. So even though in other views it looks like these lists are based on different goals, the data in them is only being pulled from the view from which they were created.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, that is correct goals are view based hence when you change goals inside the view remarketing lists will be affected.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin, your response is not what I was told.

Just to quickly clarify- The lists were created based on the goals in 1 view. They are associated to that view, but viewable on a profile level. Therefore, when viewing them in the Admin section when another view is selected, these lists are visible as well.

Since the other views has different goals with the same goal numbers, it 'appears' from this point as if the lists in these views are based on different goals. But in fact, according to what I was told, the lists are only being populated from users who reach the goals of the view in which they were created, such that this mistaken viewing of the list rules is simply a display error and has no effect on adding users into these lists.

If this is not the case, we have a huge issue to take care of, as our goals are not synchronized across all views.

Please clarify.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

so my understanding of the issue is:
1. You have a working GA property
2. You created Goals inside one view
3. Based on these goals inside the view you created Remarketing lists
4. Goal definitions have changed inside that view and new goals added

The result will be that remarketing lists will continue receiving users regardless of the goal condition defined and in this situation you will have to either create new remarketing lists or repurpose the old ones yet some overlap may happen due to the time defined a user is kept in the list.

If on the other hand the situation is :
1. You have a working GA property
2. You created Goals inside one view
3. Based on these goals inside the view you created Remarketing lists
4. You created additional views
5. You created additional goals in that view which do not correspond by ID to the initial view

The result will be that nothing will change in the remarketing lists as the goals inside the initial view are not changed (goals from the view you initially created the rem lists from).

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit more.

Kind regards,
Zorin