Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Reliable registration/control of traffic (referrals) to other websites?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How can we register and control traffic (referrals on the other site) that we send to another website in a trustful and reliable way?

The other website sees the referrals in their Google Analytics (GA) and we see it through events.

However, I would like to use some kind of trustful third party that we could both access that will count and register the referrals and we can control the counts, by using filters to filter out traffic count from certain IP addressed for example.

How can I do this?

I searched for it, but I find it hard to find the correct info, I think I looking in the wrong direction.

Thanks, Ed

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reliable registration/control of traffic (referrals) to other websites?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Ed,

I'm not entirely clear on what you want, that said, you could use dual tracking (another GA account) on the site that sends the traffic and provide access to yourself and the third parties via views that you create.

More on dual tracking here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks @Theo, interesting idea double tracking.

But what about using some kind of proxy company, that does all the work.
So my display links could be something like:
< a href="https://proxyCompany.com/?target=<other website>>Product of other site</a>

How do other parties do that ?
I sometimes click and see first appear another url like doubleclick, before I go to the expected target website.
Can I use some sort of affiliating ? like the affiliating marketing companies use.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Ed,

You could do that... but you would have to do a lot to ensure that you didn't break attribution in the process.. that is having the proxy show up as the source of all traffic. You would need cross domain tracking or probably have to resort to harvesting and passing along campaign data via UTM parameters... messy.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Theo, thanks for your insight, but how do others do this?

And don't really see the issues you mention, as I just want to use a proxy url with some parameters, what is so difficult about that ? I notice others are using that as well, can't be that hard I think?
- Ed

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Ed,

It all depends on how you handle the redirects and how your traffic flows. I don't really know enough about your business and model to know if you'll have a problem - just what you need to watch out for. Redirects, if not done properly (not passing params, client side, etc.) can easily break attribution. If you control site A and the redirect site, then you should be able to get it configured. If you do it wrong the site that is seeing the traffic will just see referrals from the redirect.

doubleclick and AdWords do it because Google owns them and has logic to attribute the traffic properly. Bing Ad's (and any other placement) for example would not show properly without utm params added to the URL.

Again, it can work, just be careful that the target site sees what you need/want them to see. If they don't need to see anything more than a referral from the redirect you may be okay but then you need to keep the visitor there long enough to send the hit to GA so you'll have to consider that.

Some straightforward testing should tell you what you need. I imagine this is all happening because of a discrepancy between events on your side and referral count on theirs.. that will probably always happen as not everyone will take the journey all the way to the final destination.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn