Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Regular Expressions to exclude pages in Goal Funnel Steps

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to use Regex in the goal funnel to exclude some pages but allow one specific page.

Basically, I want the page /insights/pricing-guide to be the only page counted at this stage in the funnel.  I don't want /insights/pricing-guide-download to be counted or any other pages that begin /insights/pricing-guide- (there are several).  However, I want to allow any other character APART from a dash after /insights/pricing-guide in case there's additional campaign info included in the URL. Here's what I've been trying to do:

/insights/pricing-guide((!\-).*)

I've tested my Regex out in several places but it doesn't seem to be working - I can't figure out why!  I'm getting a bit confused over what expressions I can/can't use in GA.  I'd appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks very much in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia C
January 2016

Re: Regular Expressions to exclude pages in Goal Funnel Steps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lydia,
have you tried:
/insights/pricing-guide($|\?)

This basically translates to $ as ends with or immediately follows with a ? if you pas on query params.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia C
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lydia,
have you tried:
/insights/pricing-guide($|\?)

This basically translates to $ as ends with or immediately follows with a ? if you pas on query params.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm sure the answer you've given is the right one based on the rules of Regex. You've blocked the page I want to block while allowing the others that I want.

However, when I look at the funnel visualisation for this goal this is still happening:

funnelvisualisation.png

It seems that GA is picking up the sessions on the thank you page but not the landing page, which is still set as /insights/pricing-guide($|\?). Is there any reason why this is still happening?

Thanks,

Lydia

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Lydia,

could you please make a print screen of the entire goal set up screen as it would be easier to see what and if anything needs to be changed?

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Sure, here you go:

goaldetails2.png

I've just refreshed my funnel visualisation page and it appears to be working now! This is what I'm getting...

funnelvisualisation2.png

...although there does seem to be too many people reaching the destination page through a different route than the landing page (the destination page is only accessible *in theory* via the landing page). Also, why isn't the link /insights/pricing-guide?__hssc... being counted as Step 1 in the funnel? Shouldn't that be counted as part of the funnel according to the Regex above?

Thanks again,

Lydia

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Lydia,

are you looking at the period prior to the funnel change? As this can explain why some of the pages such as ?___hssc are not reported as the funnel entry.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry, by that do you mean a period of time before users are counted as being in the funnel? Could you please explain that to me (I'm being a little slow today)? My understanding was that as soon as a user hits the first step of the funnel, ie. /insights/pricing-guide($|\?), then they are counted in the funnel.

Thanks,

Lydia

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Lydia, 

I mean if you are looking at the date range which includes the dates before you made the changes to the funnel?

Screenshot_71.png

Kind regards,

Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah okay. I didn't realise the dates affected it so much. When you say 'made the changes to the funnel', does that mean GA can only display the data from when I first set up the funnel (that was just last week)? But that's not the landing pages themselves - they were set up months ago.

Strangely enough, when I increase the dates further back in time, my funnel reverts back to a completely red bar at the first stage with no movement down it. Now I've switched back to my original dates, the funnel is still showing this!

Thanks,

Lydia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin,

It does seem to be working now, if I switch to dates since I first set up the funnel.

Thank you for all your help and for being so patient with me!