Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Referral exclusion list not working for cross domain tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I tried to set up cross-domain tracking for two domains (e.g. A.com and B.com).I am using the universal Analytics code and GTM and followed this tutorial:

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/06/16/cross-domain-tracking-with-google-tag-manager/

So, I added the GTM code to both websites, set allowLinker to true, set a constant variable with both domains (A.com, B.com) to Auto Link Domains and added both domains to the referral exclusion list in Analytics.

Also, I set the field "Use Debug Version" to true, because I could not set it to a variable "{{Debug Mode}}". I guess the tutorial was made in an older version of GTM. And I set the field "anonymizeIp" to true for other reasons. I do not know if this could have an impact, but I want to give you as much information as possible.

So here is the problem: I visited B.com with source parameters (?utm_source=xxx) in the URL for testing purposes and then clicked from there through to A.com (btw I got the ga parameter). Then in Analytics I only got one session for B.com with the test source, but no pageview for A.com with the test source. Also, even though I added both domains to the referral exclusion list, I still get referrals from B.com in the reports.

What am I doing wrong?