AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion/Cross Domain not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client's site uses a 3rd party for registration. The 3rd party reg form allow the addition of the GA ID, nothing more. This does allow me to track traffic on the reg form and elsewhere, but it all shows up as referral. (I have a destination goal set up so that I can see when someone lands on the form—I can't really track anything else—but all completions show up under referral traffic which does me no good).

I have the client's domain and the 3rd party domain in the Referral Exclusion List, and have even tried implementing cross-domain tracking (though I can only edit the tracking script on the client side).

Still, all referrals. Any ideas?

http://mountainkidslouisville.com/
https://app.jackrabbitclass.com/regv2.asp?id=135459

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric P
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Cross domain tracking with the current setup isnt possible.

mountainkidslouisville.com uses the currrent version of the tracking code (as it should do)
app.jackrabbitclass.com uses a an older, different version of the tracking code (pre May 2010) and (from my understanding of what you have said) does not provide you with any control of the code or ability to edit it
Cross domain tracking between the two is not possible as they dont use cookies in the same way so cant communicate and share the session/source/user information

When someone gets sent to app.jackrabbitclass.com, are you able to then redirect them back to a thank you page on the main website after they complete the registration form?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

The problem is that you have Universal Analytics code on http://mountainkidslouisville.com/ and classic analytics code on the other site. You cannot set up cross domain tracking using the two different tracking codes. You need to update the tracking code on the other site to Universal Analytics. Once you resolve the issue, you will still see self referrals, returning visitors who returns as direct will still have that source set. Hope this helps let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric P
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Cross domain tracking with the current setup isnt possible.

mountainkidslouisville.com uses the currrent version of the tracking code (as it should do)
app.jackrabbitclass.com uses a an older, different version of the tracking code (pre May 2010) and (from my understanding of what you have said) does not provide you with any control of the code or ability to edit it
Cross domain tracking between the two is not possible as they dont use cookies in the same way so cant communicate and share the session/source/user information

When someone gets sent to app.jackrabbitclass.com, are you able to then redirect them back to a thank you page on the main website after they complete the registration form?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: redirect, unfortunately not. They do see a thank you message, but it too lives on the 3rd party and the message does not have a unique URL either, so I can't have final conversion data in GA anyways.

Thank you for the note on the Analytics version! That's terrible news for my reporting, but at least I can start bugging other people to fix the problem! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Arnold!

I was hoping it was something simple that I was missing... oh well!