Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Recommended GA setup for an ecommerce apparel site (Both CAD and US)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am assessing a clients set up for an ecommerce apparel site. They sell in both CAD and US. Currently their GA has one property. Ideally they'd like to view total sales (and activity) within GA and be able to separately view on US and CAD (my thought is to create segments within GA). 

Additionally I'd like to hear some thoughts around creating one Property for the combined data, one for CAD data and one for US. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Recommended GA setup for an ecommerce apparel site (Both CAD and U

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jessica,

a good question.

You have multiple choices here where the first and the easiest is to apply a segment - this can lead to sampling in reports and is not applicable to all reports (e.g. funnel visualization).

2nd option would be to create additional views inside a property which would be GEO or request URI or hostname based depending on how the sites are set up - this will allow for more flexibility in any case - some additional work would be needed in order to properly connect adwords but in my opinion much better than the segment approach.

3rd option would be as you mentioned 3 properties. This allows most flexibility in terms of search console connection to separate properties and similar. The only thing you need to be aware of is the session sampling limit of 500 000 which if you predict high traffic may be an issue for the roll up property (combined data for both US and CA sites). This also requires more maintenance than having only one property though. Tracking is a bit more complicated to set up (multi trackers) though if you use GTM it can be much much easier. In any case you should always send localCurrency string so GA can do the conversion automagicallySmiley Happy

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin, this is great!

I like the idea of option 2, as an agency working on behalf of the client I'd like to be effective with my time and minimize maintenance. Do you have more information on the connecting AdWords piece? I imagine you would have to filter US vs. CAD traffic somehow?

Currently they have both GTM and GA snippets on the site. Ideally I'd like to migrate everything into GTM so I can execute without much dev help. One area I'm specifically unsure about is adding enhanced ecommerce via GTM while I've found some great resources on adding it through GTM I'd like to hear any insights you or anyone else in the community may have. I do have a dev team to lean on, but I have found GTM can be tricky as you get into data layer and more complicated tracking.

Additionally any experience you've had with migrating a hardcoded GA account to GTM would be great as well. I have started to do so with our internal site but it's not ecommerce and my guidance was articles found online.

Cheers!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jessica,

the entire project needs to be well thought of based on the needs of your agency and client requirements. So for instance:
1. AdWords - create an MCC and 2 child accounts where each will be responsible for a specific market - connecting it to Analytics is then easy in any scenario (you will connect both to property yet you will only opt in relevant adwords data based on view)
2. EE is probably the hardest thing to implement as it requires tracking efforts on the entire site (so dev support will be essential) - as always the best place to start is to check Google dev docs and start from there - once you encounter issues go back to forums or just Google the issue - it is probably already coveredSmiley Happy - https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/enhanced-ecommerce and https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/enhanced-ecommerce/
3. Migration - it depends on if you have a separate staging vs production environment available or are you making all changes in production - in essence build a parallel tracking framework in GTM which will be used to test all tracking efforts and will send all data to a staging property (separate from your production data so you do not pollute real data with testing) - in the same time it is a priority that all the things you do with the new framework are not affected with testing (think in terms of exclude IP filters or similar) - once your new framework is done just migrate (remove hard coded analytics and change the tracking ids inside GTM)

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net