AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Re-calculate historical conversion data in Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my goals is related to conversion. The URL for thank-you page on my site is <siteURL>/thank-you/

I entered the goal earlier as "thank-you/" based on the instructions. For weeks, I saw a 0% conversion rate even though people were submitting the form. Today, I finally fixed it to add a leading "/" as well. The conversion rate seems to be working now.

This is great. But how can I update my historical data to reflect the correct conversion rate?

Help?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Re-calculate historical conversion data in Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

unfortunately you cannot change historic goal data. You can always export the data into Excel or Sheets and do some analysis there.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi NewbornPhotos,

as it is unfortunately not possible to add not measured conversions/goal data to an account, I can only recommend you to use annotations (see e.g. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Annotations-in-Google-Analytics). This will allow you, and all the other who have access to the account, to remember that there is some goal data missing.

My tip: I would ad an annotation per day with a comment how many conversions are missing. That does not restore your data, but you have allways a reminder of the missing data within the account by day. If you or someone else check the data month or years at a later day and is wondering about the low amount of conversions, check the annotations.

Bye. Nils.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
While you cannot restore goal data - you can display the correct values in a dashboard using counts for the page path.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Page path may help indeed yet use unique pageviews instead of pageviews (metric).

Kind regards
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net