Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

QR codes and Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can Google Analytics track scanning of QR codes? I would like to know the location of where my QR code has been scanned.

I want to create a QR code with a shortened URL that links to a place where contact & website information (vcard) is located, that will download to a mobile phone to be added as a contact.

Wondering if and how this might be done,

Re: QR codes and Google Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jamie,

yes, you can track qr code scans.

You only have to make sure that you ad some utm parameters to your URL. You can use the utm builder https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en for the code generation (e.g. "qr_code" as medium). Then use the URL with the parameters for creating the qr code or use an url shortener and create the code for the shorted url. The last option is more flexible as it allows you to change the url as your pleasure, but you have to make sure that the shortener service is allways available.

When people scan the code, you will find the "qr code sessions" in Google Analytics under menu acquisition -> all -> source / medium. Click on the relevant text (e.g. "yourdomain / qr_code") and ad as second dimension a location (e.g. city). This allows you to see the sessions based on scans by location.

But my experience is that you have to consider that location data for sessions from mobile devices are a little bit less accurate than from desktop devices. And qr codes will almost be scanned via mobile devices. The reason is that the location data depends on the IP adress and the IP for mobile devices is not as accurate as from desktop. This is my experience, but it is OK for trends.

Bye. Nils

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good day Nils,

Just to add to this question...

I'm completely new to GA and wondering if this is the correct solution to use.

We print adverts for our customers and add QR codes onto the print outs. We would like to keep track of all the analytics of when and where these QR codes are scanned. The QR directs the user to the advertisers website, not mine, so we have no control on the advertisers website.

We currently make use of http://tagginn.com/ to achieve this but we're hoping GA would be better suited.

Can this be achieved with GA?

Thanks,
Regards,

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Greg,

if you would like to keep track of the QR scans, you usually need access to the Google Analytics Account of your customers and have to add campaign parameters to the url like described..

Sorry, I don't know the tool tagginn.

The other option would be that you set up a new website (e.g. yourdomain.com) and set up an own Google Analytics account for that website. Than you create QR codes referring to a page on your website (e.g. yourdomain.com/qr123) and set up redicrects to your customer website that forward the visitors from yourdomain.com/qr123 to customerdomain.com. This would allow you to track the scans in your Analytics account for page "qr123". But this is a quite difficult solution as you always have to guarantee your customers that you forward the visitors. And, to be honest, I as yours customer would prefer QR codes linking directly to my website.

Sorry, I do not see any other option as to get access to the Analytics accounts of your customers or to use thte statistics tagginn provides. Maybe somebody else has an other idea?

Bye. Nils

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response Nils. I will look into the feasibility of your suggested option.

Thanks,

Regards, 

QR codes and Google Analytics

N/A
# 6
N/A

Hi, I created a web page using WordPress in which this page will be connected with a QR code.  Is there a way to track how many scan the code and land on this page?