AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Product Detail Views - where to see this in GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Another basic question (apologies) while I get to grips with EEC, but how do you view the Product Details data that's pushed? I can't see a secondary dimension available for this, nor is it available in Product Performance or Product List Performance. I've a dataLayer set up exactly as the docs recommend (below), and I have a custom dimension added to that which I want to view (whether a product is in or out of stock), but can't see how to access it. 

<script>
// Measure a view of product details. This example assumes the detail view occurs on pageload,
// and also tracks a standard pageview of the details page.
dataLayer.push({
  'ecommerce': {
    'detail': {
      'actionField': {'list': 'Apparel Gallery'},    // 'detail' actions have an optional list property.
      'products': [{
        'name': 'Triblend Android T-Shirt',         // Name or ID is required.
        'id': '12345',
        'price': '15.25',
        'brand': 'Google',
        'category': 'Apparel',
        'variant': 'Gray'
       }]
     }
   }
});
</script>
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, bsod99,

The Product Detail Views aren't available as an explicit secondary dimension. Rather, it's available implicitly in the Prod Performance report as well as in the Product List Performance report. It takes a bit of interpretation to realise what role the PDVs take. In the Prod Performance report, you are able to click into each product and view the detail of the product there. You can also see the Cart-to-Detail and Buy-to-Detail rates, which depend on you sending in the product detail view. In the Product List Performance report, you can click into the particular list and again see the metrics that would only be able to be acquired through the product detail view.

The Shopping Behaviour report also gives you a higher-level view of the number of sessions where PDVs occurred. Again this wouldn't be available if not for the "details" data that you send in.

Hope this sheds a bit of light.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the explanation Nicky Y!

So if I want to be able to view a Stock Status custom dimension for products, I should add a GTM tag to push that data with a custom event I tie to the product detail view?

Re: Product Detail Views - where to see this in GA?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, bsod99,

You can add your custom dimension to the same product detail view object, but make sure you have configured it correctly, and that it is defined with a "Product" scope. Your product detail object would consequently look something like this:

'products': [{
   'name': 'Triblend Android T-Shirt',         // Name or ID is required.
   'id': '12345',
   'price': '15.25',
   'brand': 'Google',
   'category': 'Apparel',
   'variant': 'Gray',
   'dimensionX': 'in stock'
   }]
}

where "X" is the custom dimension index that you've configured.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Product Detail Views - where to see this in GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky Y, 

Thanks again. This is what I already have actually - this is what is currently setup:

Tag being fired on loading a product detail page:

{
  event: 'productDetailImpression',
  ecommerce: {
    currencyCode: 'GBP',
    detail: {
      actionField: {list: 'MyList'},
      products: [
        {
          name: 'Rugby Ball',
          id: 'DDEWWMIA10011',
          brand: 'Peveril',
          category: 'Peveril',
          stock_status: 'In Stock', 
          price: 8.99
        }
      ]
    }
  }
}

Custom dimension set up in GA:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 19.56.53.png

GTM tag setup:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 19.58.03.png

GTM variable

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 20.09.08.png

And finally, what I can see in the GA debug console:

Running command: ga("gtm1476932798063.ec:addProduct", {name: "Peveril Rugby Ball", id: "PAACBALL10002", brand: "Peveril", category: "Activities/Sports/Rugby", stock_status: "In Stock", price: 9.99})

Running command: ga("gtm1476932798063.ec:setAction", "detail", {list: "Rugby"})

Running command: ga("gtm1476932798063.send", {hitType: "event", eventCategory: "Ecommerce", eventAction: "Product Detail Impression", eventLabel: undefined, eventValue: undefined})

Sorry for the long post, but can you see anything there that would cause the dimension not to be available in GA?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi, bsod99,

To specify custom dimensions at the product scope, you need to include them in your product object with the name 'dimensionX', where X is the index number. You're currently passing in the proper name, which GTM won't be able to parse as a custom dimension. You can read more about this here: https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/enhanced-ecommerce#custom-dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky Y, 

I did have this set previously as you'd suggested, it wasn't tracking, so I tried the approach I posted above. I've now switched it back to dimension4, which is the correct index for this dimension - but still no data for this dimension. Is it because I'm just setting this on the product detail that it's not pulling through as expected? I've setup custom dimensions for AddToCart and other events and these work correctly.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help so far!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi, bsod99,

You should be able to grab the value for your CD on the 'productDetailImpression' event (very important that it's on this specific event). So that's when you fire your impression tag, and have that use the dataLayer for ecommerce (so check that little checkbox that says something like "use dataLayer"). If you've formatted the dataLayer exactly the way GTM needs it, then you don't have to do anything else! You should see that when that event fires, your CD's get automatically populated in the collect hit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky Y, 

Thanks for your patience! 

This is such a strange one - everything looks to be correct in terms of what's being pushed to GA. Maybe I'm just trying to access it incorrectly in GA - I'm going through Product List Performance, drilling down on a category, then a product via the SKU, then adding the secondary dimension "Stock Status", but still no dice! Am I looking for the data in the wrong place?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi bsod99,

Would you be able to grant me read access to your GA and edit access to your GTM (so that I can into Preview mode)? You can go to my Profile page (https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1704414) and see my email address in the upper left corner.