Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Goal Funnel - 100% conversion rate for destinations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up several very simple destination goals with a required funnel step. The goal seems to be ignoring the funnel step and is producing conversions for every visit to the destination instead of ONLY the times the destination was reached through the funnel step. I have done this many other times and not had this issue. What could be the problem?

Here are my settings:

Equals to: /academic/bachelors/index.html

Funnel: On

Step 1: /goag/index.html

Required: Yes

Re: Problem with Goal Funnel - 100% conversion rate for destinations

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
"The required first step applies only to the Funnel Visualization report. When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step".
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en&ref_topic=1649581

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liz H
January 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Liz,

That is correct, this is a common mis-understanding. When someone gets to the final destination regardless of funnel on or funnel off, Google will mark this as a conversion. If someone does not follow the correct funnel procedure Google Analytics will still mark it as a goal so long as the final destination was reached. The funnel option is only there for reporting and analysis at Conversions > Goals > Funnel Visualisation . In this section with funnels on it will now show the funnel steps and drop-offs.

Hope this helps with your understanding Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That makes sense. I will probably have to set up event tracking for the click instead. The destinations are common pages, but we want to know specifically that they came from a certain page.