Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to use Analytics to track what users are entering into a field, but NOT processing that field?

Let's say I have a 'user' field, which you would enter a user into, and then click to donate to that user.

It's an auto-complete form that you can enter either a user's name, or their usercode.

Let's say a client punches in either a name, or a usercode, but then does NOT process the page - they simply exit the page.

Any way to track that a name / information was entered into the field using Analytics?

Thanks so much, and my apologies if this is an obvious or already-asked question.

-Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris - in theory it is possible but be very careful when storing such data inside GA as PII information is prohibited by terms of service - so in short capturing email, name or similar is not allowed.

Form tracking would require some additional coding - jscript / jquery which would capture the value of a form field on a specific event - beforeunload or similar.

Check this article for some ideas - http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/track-form-engagement-with-google-tag-manager/

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much - we didn't plan on storing PII of the person using it, just
the code of the user they might want to, say, send money to (or similar).

--
Chris Boucher
Benefactor.org - tip the artists
ActorsEverywhere.com

--
Co-Founder, Actors Everywhere LLC
www.actorseverywhere.com