AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to use Analytics to track what users are entering into a field, but NOT processing that field?

Let's say I have a 'user' field, which you would enter a user into, and then click to donate to that user.

It's an auto-complete form that you can enter either a user's name, or their usercode.

Let's say a client punches in either a name, or a usercode, but then does NOT process the page - they simply exit the page.

Any way to track that a name / information was entered into the field using Analytics?

Thanks so much, and my apologies if this is an obvious or already-asked question.

-Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris - in theory it is possible but be very careful when storing such data inside GA as PII information is prohibited by terms of service - so in short capturing email, name or similar is not allowed.

Form tracking would require some additional coding - jscript / jquery which would capture the value of a form field on a specific event - beforeunload or similar.

Check this article for some ideas - http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/track-form-engagement-with-google-tag-manager/

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Possible to to track data entry of a specific field?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much - we didn't plan on storing PII of the person using it, just
the code of the user they might want to, say, send money to (or similar).

--
Chris Boucher
Benefactor.org - tip the artists
ActorsEverywhere.com

--
Co-Founder, Actors Everywhere LLC
www.actorseverywhere.com