Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Player Search Tracking - Search Function

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Relative youngster in the world of google analytics and I am hoping someone can help.  I have a search function that is on every page of my site.  People type the full name of the player or the team into the box and then hit the search button.  That button feeds the information input to a search.php page and is displayed on a player.php page.

I am trying to find a way where google analytics will tell me how many times a person uses the search function.  I would use the displaying of the player.php page, but that is also used for another function on the page and would be a different measure.  So, my thought is that I could somehow capture the usage of the search.php page.  

Thanks in advance.

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Scott B,

Does your site append a search query parameter to the url for entered search terms? For example, if your site was www.scott.com, and someone search for "ducks", then would the URL on your search results page look like "www.scott.com?search=ducks"?

If so, then you could leverage the built in search reports by enabling site search tracking in your GA configuration.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky,

When the information is displayed it is displayed on the http://www.mywebsite.com/directory/player.php?id=XXXXXX

There is a search form in every page that calls the search.php page and then the information is displayed as above using the player.php page.

I will check out the site search tracking.  Thanks for the suggestion.