AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Phone Number Clicks Conversion Tracking Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a few ways to track phone number clicks to call, but none that I can implement right. Using WordPress, my phone number only shows up as a link, and on items such as the top menu, I can't get in to edit the HTML layer. I'm trying to figure out how to track clicks to call as an event/goal.

I tried putting an HTML snipped in with my phone number custom link, but unsurprisingly that didn't seem to work. I can edit the html in the body of my website, but can't with the link in my top menu. I'm thinking that's where a lot of phone calls come from so it would be valuable to be able to track that. I just can't find a way to track link clicks as an event without being able to edit HTML.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Are you able to provide a link to your site, easier to make suggestions when able to see the code on the page.
for instance, atm im having a hard time understanding why a click to call ph link would appear as a menu item 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The site uses WordPress, does your currently active theme have a theme option for you to add scripts to the footer of your site?

If so, you'll need to test it, however the following should work

<script>
jQuery('header a:contains("(806) 792-3341")').on('click', function() {
ga('send', 'event', 'phone no.', 'click', 'header menu');
});
</script>

it will add an onclick event to the phone number in that top menu in the header.

you can edit 'phone no.', 'click', 'header menu' to a category, action or label that

is better suited to your needs if you choose to

If the theme doesnt have an option to add script to the footer of the site, then i suggest something like the following free plugin from wordpress.org to give you an option to add the script without having to make hard edits to theme files (which goes against general WordPress 'best practices')

https://wordpress.org/plugins/header-and-footer-scripts/

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great! I got that installed, and when I go to live events while testing it, analytics recognizes that an event just happened, but doesn't register any info about the event itself. I didn't think I needed to set anything up in Analytics to have it collect data. Is this wrong? Here's a screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkudnklh88dgv30/Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%208.33.46%20AM.png?dl=0

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

That's fine if it is showing up in the real time reporting when it occurs, its a good indicator its working.

It may take up to 24-48hrs to show up in the Standard Reports and keep in mind you will also need to adjust the date range at the upper right in the date range selector to include current day, as by default it only includes up to the previous day.