Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Paypal as a referral even after excluded

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been implementing GA/GTM in a fe Magento stores and I've noticed that Paypal still shows up as a referral (which is ruining campaign and ecommerce data) even after I've added it to the referral exclusion list. One property in particular is showing 9 referrals from Paypal in GA for the last 3 days when there were only 11 transactions run through Paypal. 

It seems unlikely that 80% of all those people using Paypal took long enough for their session to expire, and even then shouldn't it show up as direct? I don't understand how a domain that has been excluded for a week is still showing up in the referrals list.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paypal as a referral even after excluded

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Aaron,

The referral exclusion list is not working for returning visitors who already have the source set to the domain you added to the list. If they come back as direct they will still have that source set. Please check, they are all returning users.
Also please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for the domain you added to the referral exclusion list to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Paypal as a referral even after excluded

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Arnold, once you exclude a domain, does GA accurately maintain the original traffic source for those visitors?
I've read online that instead of attributing those visitors to their original source/medium, those excluded visitors now get dumped into the Direct Traffic source/medium.. Can you confirm if this is true?

Paypal as a referral even after excluded

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold, you are right, I also read https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en , in this case for your second point, should I have to wait 6 months to see the result or set it to 1 day to see a quick result?