Analytics
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Payment provider as referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

for a customer we use Google Analytics and Tag Manager for E-commerce tracking. We constantly get the payment providers as referral traffic in our reports. We already placed the providers as referral exclusions in Google analytics as following:

betalen.rabobank.nl,bankieren.ideal.ing.nl,abnamro.nl,ideal.snsbank.nl,ideal.regiobank.nl,3dsecure.icscards.nl,securesuite.co.uk

In addition, we set up the following in Tag Manager:

Fieldname              Value

allowLinker             True

cookdieDomain      Auto

Cross domain tracking

Auto link domains

betalen.rabobank.nl,bankieren.ideal.ing.nl,abnamro.nl,ideal.snsbank.nl,ideal.regiobank.nl,3dsecure.icscards.nl,securesuite.co.uk

Are we missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Payment provider as referral traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tony,

You don't need to set up cross domain tracking with the payment provider.

Referral exclusion list does not work for traffic that is already cookied. If a returning visitor had a referral source set before you added it to the list and then visits as direct, they will still have that referral source.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

thanks for your reply. I checked the stats and see that the latest conversions are returning visitors. I just wait for a bit to see if its correct now.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can also try adding ?utm_nooverride=1 in the links from the payment gateway back to the merchant site. That parameter had disappeared in Universal and just got reinstated.

Use referral exclusion lists
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Julien,

Can I ask you where have you found the information that the nooverride=1 parameter has been reinstated in Universal Analytics ?

Thank you for your answer !

Payment provider as referral traffic

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

[2018 edit] utm_nooverride is not available, make sure you use referral excluson lists

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan