Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Page Views Up 200% Because of New Website: Problem?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just launched my redone website (racingdudes.com) using a new theme. Everything seems to be working great on all fronts except since launching my page views in Google Analytics have blown up. I now use infinite scroll which knew that would increase some but I had a 200% increase!

In talking to the theme developer, the extra page views on the articles can be explained as "When viewing even one post, the next post is automatically loaded underneath when that post is accessed." I didn't expect it to do this much but whatever.

However, I have done some testing using the live Analytics and it seems somehow my other single pages (not articles) views are getting counted more than once when scrolling. For Analytics I'm using a plugin called All in One SEO and simply plugged in my Google Analytics ID. What am I doing wrong? 

It's worth noting that my sessions and users stayed about the same. Just the pages/session is what has blown up. I don't want to get into any trouble with Google as none of this is on purpose, just trying to work out the kinks, if there are any. Thanks!

Re: Page Views Up 200% Because of New Website: Problem?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
It's because your website sends pageview hits every time when someone scrolls down and scrolls up to the top.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is this a problem? Or standard in the industry? I talked to Google about this and had them check the code and didn't find any issues.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
It's definitely not a standard. You should send a pageview hit once per page view.
If you want to track scrolling you could use event tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's not something I sought out. Switched to a new theme on my website and it's how it is built apparently. Is there an easy way to correct this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you using "Scrollspy" plugin? I found that in this file:
http://racingdudes.com/wp-content/themes/flex-mag/js/autoloadpost.js?ver=4.4.2
there is a function which sends extra pageview.
Maybe you can safely disable it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So essentially is this determining the parts of pages that are in view and counting a page view then when you scroll to a part of the page that wasn't in view originally, another page view? If so, I get why it would do that. I completely understand how it can be argued one way or the other anyway.