3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Page Value calculation

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We took some blog pages off our eCommerce site (long story) and therefore, deleted the blog links on the home page.

The result: a higher home page bounce rate: from 15% to 20%. That is expected.

BUT: the home "page value" went UP: from $25 to $30. Meanwhile, the overall eCommerce rate went down a tad.

So my question: do the bounced pages get included in the page value calculation? As an example, take the following paths:

Visitor1: Home, buy $100
Visitor 2: Home bounce
Visitor 3: Home & other pages, buy $50

Visitor 4: Enter on product page, buy $50

Would the home page value be:

$200/3=$50 (i.e. total revenue/total home unique page views)
OR
$200/2=$100 (i.e. - total revenue / # home pages in a purchase path)

OR

$150/2=$75 (i.e. - revenue when home page was part of path / # home pages in a purchase path)

If it is one of the later two, it seems that taking off the blog page links increased the page value because we threw away the "lurkers" that might be there to just read the blog posts and go away (and buy later - just not today).

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Page Value calculation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Page Value is ((Transaction Revenue + Total Goal Value) divided by Unique Pageviews for the page or set of pages)).

That implies bounces would be included. If the total number of homepage unique views dropped, then the page value would go up. You can do the math for your site.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for your quick response!

I did find that calculation. However, http://analytics.blogspot.com/2012/07/understanding-and-using-page-value.html seems to be saying something different (???). In the example:

Total revenue is $140
Page 3 page views is one

Yet - page 3 has a page value of $100???

That is why I asked the question - I don't understand what I am missing...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
IN that example, Page 3 is only involved in the second transaction, so total transaction revenue FOR SESSIONS THAT INCLUDED THAT PAGE is only $100.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gj a
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

This is a little bit more complicated because order of page views is important in calculations.

Take a look of this example:

Session 1: Home > Page1 > Sale1 ($25)
Session 2: Page2 > Sale2 ($50) > Home
Session 3: Page3 > Sale3 ($100) > Page1 > Home
Session 4: Home > Page2 > Home
Session5: Page1 > Page2 > Sale3 ($100)

The value for Home will be $25 / 4 = $6.25
Because "Home" was only once in the path before a sale we take only $25.

Value for Page1 = $125 / 3 (Page1 was before a sale in session 1 and 5, so we take $25 + $100, we don't take value from session 3 )
Value for Page2 = $150 / 3 (Page2 was before a sale in session 2 and 5, so we take $50 + $100)
Value for Page3 = $100 / 1 (Page3 was before a sale only in session 3)

I hope this is clear and explain everything.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah - I think I am getting it. So Google Analytics:

* takes all the sessions that involve a particular page (including sessions with bounces, no transactions, etc.)
* adds up all the revenue (and goal $) in this group of sessions
* divides this revenue by the unique page visits of the page

So - the answer to my above example would be: $150/3 = $50 - which is none of the answers that i gave ;-)

Right?

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Not exactly.
Revenue is taken for calculations only if page was in the path before transaction.

In this simple example:

Session1: home > product > sale($100)
Session2: product > sale($100) > home

the value for "product" page will be ($100+$100) / 2 = $100
but the value for "home" page will be $100 / 2 = $50

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great - thanks! I wrote my response, below your previous response, before I saw your answer.

It helps to have it spelled out with an example that includes a mixture of paths - thanks! It is interesting that GA only includes revenue when the page precedes the purchase - but then, includes all unique page views for that page. I am sure they have their reasons...

Thanks again - I was really struggling with this!