Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

PPC traffic seen in analytics realtime, but not as a goal / conversion (x-post from adwords comm.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have been struggling with a nasty Adwords/Analytics conversion tracking issue, and for the love of life, I cannot find a solution.

We have a website on wix, running bookeo platform. We have Analytics and Google conversion tracking set up as suggested by their helpdesk. According to bookeo, the suggested way to track Adwords conversions in their system is to import the data from Analytics goals. Fair enough. 

The goal seems to work fine when it comes to recording conversions coming from all platforms in Analytics. The problem is that CPC conversions do not seem to register in Analytics as CPC, they appear as direct/none.

Here's an illustrated test.

1) In real-time we can see the ad traffic coming in, even on the last screen of bookeo. So our customer has happily clicked on the ad, decided to book, and even payed. That's a conversion, and in real-time, we seem to "see" this up until the last minute / last step.

adwana-snap1.PNG 

2) However, once the booking's done, the same data will appear in the Conversion/Goals tab in Analytics, but not as CPC, and thus, neither in adwords. We are losing tracking at this point, somehow.

adwana-snap2.PNG

The question is, I guess, what am I missing here?

I can see analytics data in adwords. I can see adwords data in analytics. The two are connected, data-sharing enabled. Auto-tagging also enabled. I don't think the issue is between Analytics and Adwords, rather between goal tracking and/or Analytics and/or bookeo.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Bests,

Peter

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter B
December 2016

PPC traffic seen in analytics realtime, but not as a goal / conversion (x-post from adwords comm.)

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Taavi Kalvi hopefully Wix will get it done in 2017 
*exasperated shrug/smile

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Re: PPC traffic seen in analytics realtime, but not as a goal / conversion (x-post from adwords comm

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Peter,

Let's start from scratch. Smiley Happy

One of the expected reason for this (not set) or (direct) / (none) is that your Google AdWords account from which the click originated is sending users to a web property that is tracked by a Google Analytics view that has not yet been linked with the Google AdWords account from which the click came. (A)

Another reason (not set) or (direct) / (none) can occur is because the GCLID parameter value has been modified from its original form and therefore becomes unrecognized by Google Analytics. This often due to being converted to lowercase, which in turn is often caused by a redirect on your website and that's why we see (not set) in our reports. (A)

Those are the steps that you should take in order to figure out what's wrong (B):

1) Verify that you have correctly linked your Google AdWords account and your Google Analytics property. Learn more

2) Make sure you've turned on auto-tagging in Google AdWords settings. Learn more

3) Make sure your GCLID parameter is not converted to lowercase. Learn more

4) Make sure your GCLID parameter is not being removed or modified. Learn more

5) Confirm auto-tagging works for your site. Learn more

Here you can read more about that:

(A): https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588454?hl=en

(B): https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Actionable tip: try using Google Tag Assistant to figure out the problem. It's an amazing tool built by Google.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes Peter.

Taavi

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
In addition to Taavi's great suggestions.

I noticed what appears to be cross domain tracking has been setup
Is bookeo.com also on the GA Referral Exclusion List for the relevant property?
The website domain should already be on the GA REL by default, but any other domains being cross domain tracked to need to be also added. Adding just the main/parent domain will automatically cover any of its subdomains too.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great advice @Bronwyn V, cheers! Smiley Happy

One more thing for you Peter. If you haven't added "paypal.com" to your referral exclusion list yet, you should do that as well. It might help you keep from having different campaign attribution problems in the future.

Seems like you're using an iframe on your page, so this can cause some problems as well like Bronwyn already mentioned before.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thanks for the input! I've read through everything, but the solution continues to elude us. Let's see!

As suggested by @Bronwyn V, I have added bookeo.com and paypal.com to the GA Referral exclusion list, alongside with perplexitygames.com (which was already there). However, I still have two simultaneous sessions whenever the booking site comes into play (Bookeo uses an iframe). Now when I have a conversion from CPC, I have the following source: www-perplexitygames-com.usrfiles.com / referral

It turns out usrfiles.com has something to do with wix.com. I tried to add it to the GA REL too, but nothing happened really. 

Regarding your points:

1) Yes, they are linked!

2) Auto-tagging is on.

3) GCLID is not converted to lowercase

4) GCLID is not removed or modified

5) Auto-tagging works.

Re: PPC traffic seen in analytics realtime, but not as a goal / conversion (x-post from adwords comm

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

EDIT: Wix platform does not support GTM yet, so unfortunately you cannot use this solution.

The problem is that you haven't yet implemented iframe cross-domain tracking and that's why sessions cut-off and campaigns have been attributed incorrectly in your Google Analytics reports.

Check this out:

First session:

1.png

Second session:

2.png

To be honest, it's not that easy to fix but if you're ready to put work into this, everything is possible. Smiley Happy

Let's start from scratch.

First of all, I recommend implementing Google Tag Manager on your site. Then you should add exactly the same GTM code to your iframe as well and then install Google Analytics through Google Tag Manager.

Secondly, you should follow this amazing guide in order to implement iframe cross-domain tracking.

Your page view tag should look like that (of course you have you own values there instead of {{GA test ID}} for example):

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 03.32.21.png

It's not that easy especially if you haven't used GTM before, so let us know if you struggle at some point.

Thirdly, you should block one of your page view tags from firing if there's an iframe on your page.

Create a new Custom JavaScript variable and use this JS code in this field:

function() {
  try {
    return window.top !== window.self;
  } catch(e) {
    return false;
  }
}

It will look like that:

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 03.39.04.png

Next, create a new trigger in GTM that looks like this (this value depends on how you've configured your goal - I guess you've used destination URL?):

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 03.40.16.png

Now, apply this trigger to your page view tag as an exception:

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 03.41.54.png

After that open your preview and debug mode in GTM and go through your website's sales funnel and make sure that you're not struggling with this double-tracking issue anymore.

preview.png

Finally, read through this amazing article and make sure your cross-domain tracking works properly. You can use developer tools and Google Tag Assistant to figure that out.

My recommendation is to test GTM first using a test property just to make sure you're not screwing up your data in Google Analytics.

If everything works properly, you should remove your existing Google Analytics code from your site (it's not needed anymore because it will cause double-tracking if you have GA implemented through GTM as well) and publish all these tags that you created previously.

Let's me honest, it's a pretty complicated process but hopefully, you have enough energy to go through this. I have gone through this kind of process a couple of times before and it has worked.

@Bronwyn V if you have a better solution, please let us know. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. Peter, let us know if you have any specific questions.

Taavi

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

To the best of my knowledge Wix platform does not have provisions for installation of the GTM container code.
Last i checked, they were working on it but still no eta for this functionality
Installation of the GA tracking code is also limited on the WIX platform, they control it, simply provided a field

to enter the tracking id (UA #)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You're right Bronwyn. Seems like WiX officially does not support GTM yet. :/

Taavi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter B
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Taavi Kalvi hopefully Wix will get it done in 2017 
*exasperated shrug/smile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the effort guys, we will try something different. Maybe we can get a redirect page at the end in there, where we can have the tracking code.

It's gonna need some javascript trickery, but could work.

Bests,

Peter