AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Organic Search Stealing all my PPC Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So here's the issue... we recently made a load of changes to our site and as a result our url structure changed. So for new customers instead of a url containing sign_up=true, the url now contains new_signup=xxxx.

Anyway, since the change, I've updated the details in my url based goals and they're now tracking total volume of conversions fine. But strangely, organic search is now being attributed a large proportion of my conversions which used to be attributed to PPC. I've not changed anything in adwords and I'm still using auto-tagging.

What's odd is that when I look into the Model Comparison report in GA, it's quite clear that Organic Search is being attributed all these conversions based on last click but when compared to first click all the conversions are clearly coming from PPC. So it looks like people are coming in on PPC but converting on Organic although this is clearly not the case as we simply don't have this much brand presence or SEO traffic to make this true.

At some point, something is going wrong with the tracking which is causing the PPC cookie to be knocked off by the organic cookie. It's also odd that when I look at the Landing Pages for the PPC traffic, these are, as you would expect, my main landing pages. The ones I chose. My main marketing pages. Perfect.

However, when I look at the Landing Pages from my SEO traffic, these are essentially the 2nd stage of my sign up process which isn't actually accessible from Organic Search and isn't listed in Google. So bizarrely, it looks like when users move down the conversion funnel, SEO somehow gets added in as a referrer.

In the short term, I'm considering removing SEO as a referrer so that all the conversions get attributed to PPC or direct. I'm comfortable doing this for now as I know my SEO traffic is minimal, but this isn't really a long term solution.

Anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Thanks
Jack

1 Expert replyverified_user

2121Re: Organic Search Stealing all my PPC Conversions

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

Can you maybe go through the process of your conversion and sample what is being sent as if the organic is overwriting it should be in the code.
Have you used GA debugger?
Have you come through organically yourself and converted and seen how it is attributed as well as coming in from an ad yourself and seeing how it is attributed
(does sound like an issue when you say landing page for organic is an inaccessible page but just due diligence.)

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Re: Organic Search Stealing all my PPC Conversions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jack,

there could be many reasons yet some of the obvious ones should be:
1. Site redirects - gclid parameter gets stripped (though in your case you still have ppc traffic incoming)
2. Issue with crossing domains if you have a setup where the clientId gets lost or overwritten

If you can send the URL of the site so a test can be made I am sure more insight can be provided.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David and Hi Zorin,

The url of the page is www.bidvine.com. Most of the PPC traffic goes through to pages like this:

https://www.bidvine.com/services/personal-training

With auto-tagging on the utm parameters are hidden. This format of page is shown as the Landing Page for all PPC traffic. Then the Landing Pages for SEO are in the following format:

https://www.bidvine.com/requests/create?postcode=N11 3FS&service=ikea-furniture-assembly

or

https://www.bidvine.com/requests/create?postcode=SE26%204PQ&service=personal-training

So there is no cross-domain issue that I can see. Perhaps though the tracking is set up incorrectly and is breaking at this stage so that Organic Search is being picked up somehow?

David, I haven't used the GA debugger. If you could steer me in the right direction of how to go about doing this that would be great?

Zorin, any help looking at the above pages would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jack

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Jack,

First thing you need to solve is the double tagging issue happening on your site as seen here http://prntscr.com/94gux3.

Seems that all analytics stuff is 'stuffed' inside https://cdn.segment.com/analytics.js/v1/0DfCoLdWu556MayHq21Tsp5c57KGyt5u/analytics.min.js so I do not know how and if you are able to change it - out of curiosity what is your bounce rate for the past week?

Can you send me the exact URL which is used in AdWords?

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

I've got access to Segment. This is the container tag solution we're using and I can change it, but only within the segment parameters. Segment works with a very simple toggle switch for all implementations such as GA. So I can toggle it on/off as well as selecting a few other options, but nothing more than that.

The url I sent - https://www.bidvine.com/services/personal-training - is where we send our PPC traffic but we have auto-tagging switched on in adwords so it will assign a gclid. An example of this would be:
https://www.bidvine.com/services/personal-training?gclid=CJ-Js5iunMkCFVZAGwodfMQLtA

I'm not sure why we've got the double pageview counting happening. I'm afraid I couldn't see the screenshot you sent. The only thing I could think of is the fact that we've created events for every pageview that occurs so this, as well as the standard pageview, might be the issue. It's not a giant problem at the moment... unless of course it's leading to the issue we're seeing in attribution.

Our volume of sessions doesn't appear to be way off. For example, the number of page views we're getting is roughly 3x the volume of sessions we're getting which would make sense with an average of 3 pages views per session. The volume of sessions we're seeing in GA from PPC is also very close to the volume of clicks we're seeing in Adwords.

Bounce Rate is around 20% for the last 7 days.

Thanks
Jack