Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Order Value Discrepancies between Google Analytics and Shopify

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. I have made use of the built-in Shopify integration with Google Analytics Ecommerce/Enhanced Ecommerce. I have done this before without a problem, but in a current implementation, I am seeing discrepancies on every order.

It looks like, for each order, both revenue and tax are understated.

So, in Shopify I might see Revenue: 580 Tax: 90, while in Google Analytics I see Revenue: 480.00 Tax: 63.00 for the same Order # (just an example). 

Any ideas what would cause such a systemic discrepancy? Since this isn't a situation with missing transactions, I don't think it is rogue filters causing the problem.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kie, 

It's hard to believe a filter would be modifying your data to change its values. Most likely its an improper implementation of enhanced ecommerce tracking. 

Also sometimes an issue can arise when issue when Google Analytics tracking is enabled in both the following:

#1 Tracking script is in a theme template. For example, if 'theme.liquid' contains either "dc.js" or "ga.js" tracking script and

#2 Google Analytics is enabled in Settings

Shopify recommends you implement their Analytics tag in only their settings area. Could this be the problem? 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Have you made an test transactions? This can help you identify where the problem arises. Make several purchases on your website where you:

- note the values given on the webpage

- identify what is sent to Google Analytics; record transaction revenue, product revenue, tax, shipping as well as transaction id

- identify what, later, is reported for this transaction id in the standard reports and compare with the back-end

This will help you identify where the problem is arising i.e. incorrect values being sent from the website or incorrect implementation of enhanced ecommerce

Also, is the difference consistent? If it's the same % difference everytime then this could suggest, for example, some kind of modifying variable which is being universally applied, for example, a currency correction.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.