Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

One Google Tag Manager Trigger for Two Events?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to create a single trigger in Google Tag Manager that combines two events being triggered in Analytics?

I have events setup to trigger for scroll depth and page duration and would like to be able to have a goal of when people have scrolled 100% of the page and visited it for longer than 2 minutes (as an example).

So Have the trigger set to a Custom Event that triggers on  Some Custom Events, and then have included both events (e.g. eventLabel contains 100% scroll and eventLabel contains 120 second page duration).

Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Colin,

Tags are evaluated on every event push so I think you'd have to have a custom listener that kept track of that for you and then in turn fire the custom event to the dataLayer when both conditions were met. 

You may want to check out Simo Ahava hes a Google Developer Expert for Analytics / GTM:

simoahava.com

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Theo!

I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Kind regards,

Colin

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Just a hint - I use a combination of scroll + engagement timer to track just the thing but I use only one trigger which is present on beforeUnload in terms of it only sends one event per page with max scroll depth and total engaged time. 

Hope it helps as a concept. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo!

In a similar vein of wanting to combine two triggers into one, is there a way to create a single tag when two distinct clicking actions/ triggers BOTH fire? For example, I only want a tag to trigger if both the "yes" button and subsequently the "ok" button are clicked. So rather than a tag firing when trigger 1 OR trigger 2 fires, I'd like to have a tag when trigger 1 AND trigger 2 both fire. Is this possible?

Thanks! 

Thanks!

Blake 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey Blake,

It's not possible directly.  That is, as I said before, GTM only evaluates triggers on events and one at a time.  What you could do is use a custom listener in a number of ways; one of which could leverage local storage; cookie based or otherwise.  E.g. set a dataLayer variable and fire an event if the value is present in a cookie then use the event as a firing rule.  There are quite a few ways you can approach this.

This post from Simo (King of all things GTM) should help:

https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/two-ways-to-persist-data-via-google-tag-manager/

Cheers,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn