Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Noob needs help setting up goals please!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

I am a digital marketing consultant for a holiday company.  I have recently begun trying to expand my simple use of Google Analytics when reporting back to my managers, and felt that I should start by setting four goals to measure how many visitors we are converting.  Because no one can purchase directly from our website, these goals are: calling us via a mobile phone link for smart devices, visiting our "contact us" page, filling in an enquiry form, and filling in a form to request a brochure.

However, the results I am receiving are inaccurate and are reporting far more conversions than our actual records demonstrate.  While I can't prove one way or another whether the mobile phone or "Contact Us" page hits are accurate or inaccurate, the two goals that require submitted forms are traceable outside of Analytics and are definitely incorrect.

I have had assistance from a Google "expert" at the Google Garage, but it seemed that his opinion was that a lot of Google Analytics is trial and error.

Can anyone suggest a simple, step-by-step guide to setting up a goal that requires a visitor to hit a page, submit a form and then hit the "Thank You" page in order to be recorded as a completed goal?  At the moment I have it set up so that anyone who hits our "Thank You" page counts as a converted visitor and therefore activates the goal, but I would like to set the goal so that only customers who complete all three stages are considered qualified leads.

Please help!

Re: Noob needs help setting up goals please!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Noob needs help setting up goals please!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thank you very much for responding, but unfortunately the link you added gives only the absolute basic information about setting up a goal. The rest focuses on funnels.

I need to know what possible problems could be causing my results to be skewed, perhaps by ensuring that the goal I have set up is doing precisely as I want it to.

Thanks in advance