Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Newbie Question on Tracking/Counters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm busy acquainting myself with Google Analytics and can see a number of advanced monitoring services that will help my small business.  I'm struggling initially though to understand the meaning of accounts, properties, views etc.  I'll get the hang of it I'm sure but to start with I'd simply like to count the number of individual visits to each of my 180 different html pages spread across 4 subdomains.

Can someone bear to point me to a relevant "how to source" on counters and tracking of visits so I can get started.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake B
November 2015

Re: Newbie Question on Tracking/Counters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Aha - thanks Nicky.  That gives me what I need to make progress so I'll tick this thread as resolved.  No doubt I'll be coming back with other questions but, who knows, in the future I might be helping others.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jake B,

That's a pretty big endeavour, but good for you for even attempting such a task!

For starters, there's some great info here about each of those elements in GA: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009618?hl=en

And then here's my over-simplified explanation of each. Google analytics MUST start with an Account, so you'll have to create one of those first. And then within each account you can have a Property. Each property is like a profile for the specific website or mobile app you are tracking. It could potentially even be a particular subdomain of your main site. You can define what a property includes - whether it includes all your subdomains rolled up into one, or just one subdomain (in which case you would have 4 properties, one for each subdomain). And then each property must have one view. The views can be configured to include whatever kind of information you want. If you want to include only visitors who use Chrome, then you can set up a filter and a view for that. If you want to see users who visits only a specific page only, then you can create a view for that. As you can see, these are actually pretty impractical examples. So what you want to do is to think bigger. Do you want to include a view for people that only visit a specific subdomain on your site? This is actually a very practical example, to include a view for each subdomain, and then another view that combines them all. Each property can have multiple views, depending what you want to include or exclude. This is accomplished through the use of filters.

As long as you have the tracking code on all pages of your site, then you should guarantee that all 180 pages are being tracked.

So there you have it - over-simplified, yes?

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nicky.  That's very much the structural outline I was looking for.

I'm now hunting for specific examples of filters to accelerate my continuing research/education.  Can you give me or point me to an example of a "tracking code" filter.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jake B,

Can you be more specific about what you mean about a "tracking code" filter?

There are many types of filters you can apply to your views. Some examples:

1. Lower casing of campaign source, medium, name, content, etc.
2. Lower casing of event category, action, label
3. IP exclusion - exclude ranges of IP addresses
4. Hostname inclusion - add the hostname to all your request URIs
etc.

What type of a filter are you looking for, or more specifically, what do you want the filter to accomplish?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oops sorry for that blank reply

Hello again Nicky

In my original post I mentioned that "I'd simply like to count the number of individual visits to each of my 180 different html pages spread across 4 subdomains"

in your original reply you mentioned that "As long as you have the tracking code on all pages of your site, then you should guarantee that all 180 pages are being tracked."

My most recent question really was "what does the tracking code look like?".

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
HI Jake B,

I'm talking about the standard GA tracking code. If you go into your GA console, under Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code, you'll see something like this;

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXX-M', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

That is your tracking code.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake B
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Aha - thanks Nicky.  That gives me what I need to make progress so I'll tick this thread as resolved.  No doubt I'll be coming back with other questions but, who knows, in the future I might be helping others.