Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

New ecommerce website, daily GA metrics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi experts, hope you all are going well.

I have been tasked to handle Google Analytics for our eCommerce website.

We have been running a successful business for almost a year now with good daily traffic from various channels and we have about 5 transactions per day. Some days we have 10 transactions, other we have 3, etc.

Because the website is new and showing month on month growth we do not have a lot of benchmark data.

Every week, we at least have one slow day during daytime and then it picks up in night time, the that is transactions.

When it is slow during the day, we are all in a panic, do you know of some good metrics to check out? I do check out, bounce rate, site speed, exit rate, time spent on site for the day and compare it to the same day the previous week and the previous month.

What else can I check out? As my piers are insisting on concrete answers.

We do have weekly and monthly reports, but what do I need to check when the day is slow?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clayton B
July 2016

Re: New ecommerce website, daily GA metrics?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clayton,

Great to hear from you.

There's a data processing delay in Google Analytics that can cause transactions to show up hours/days later. The processing latency in Google Analytics is 24-48 hours. Google has said that transactions are reported fully after a 72-hour processing window - that is something that we should keep in mind when analyzing data.

If you use Google Analytics Premium, the processing latency is 1-2 hours, max 4 hours.

If you need to know the information about the transactions at a glance, you should check your own CRM data.

It's pretty hard to say which metrics you should check out. It really depends on what you'd like to know.

I recommend you asking a business question first and then turn to your analytics for insights. It will consistently lead you to more success than just clicking around reports, waiting for something to pop out at you. One thing to keep in mind - stay away from aggregate metrics. Use segmentation to find insights you can act on.

I recommend you take a look at the Google Analytics Solutions Gallery. Here you can find lots of useful custom reports that might help you find valuable insights: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/gallery/

With a custom report, you can drill down into different dimensions as a way of getting more granular context in your data.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clayton B
July 2016

Re: New ecommerce website, daily GA metrics?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clayton,

Great to hear from you.

There's a data processing delay in Google Analytics that can cause transactions to show up hours/days later. The processing latency in Google Analytics is 24-48 hours. Google has said that transactions are reported fully after a 72-hour processing window - that is something that we should keep in mind when analyzing data.

If you use Google Analytics Premium, the processing latency is 1-2 hours, max 4 hours.

If you need to know the information about the transactions at a glance, you should check your own CRM data.

It's pretty hard to say which metrics you should check out. It really depends on what you'd like to know.

I recommend you asking a business question first and then turn to your analytics for insights. It will consistently lead you to more success than just clicking around reports, waiting for something to pop out at you. One thing to keep in mind - stay away from aggregate metrics. Use segmentation to find insights you can act on.

I recommend you take a look at the Google Analytics Solutions Gallery. Here you can find lots of useful custom reports that might help you find valuable insights: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/gallery/

With a custom report, you can drill down into different dimensions as a way of getting more granular context in your data.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

New ecommerce website, daily GA metrics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay how can I get in on it