Analytics
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Occurrences of the Same Transaction

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We have come across a problem where we are getting multiple occurrences of a single transaction where there should only be one for each. This seems to be happening not just once where the problem could have been a case of a page reload but randomly over quite long periods of time. Screen shot of occurrences below -

Capture1.PNG

So the Transaction ID above was recorded 50 times over a period from 28th October 2015 to 11th February 2016.

The confirmation page that carries the code can only be created after completion of the order so can't be revisited or shared in any way. Each of the transactions are for the same amount as the original transaction so it looks like they aren't separate transactions that are being given the same ID.

We just can't seem to figure out where Google is picking these duplicate transactions from. It is happening for a number of transaction ID's. We have our own bespoke CMS that tracks all orders and transaction ID's and can confirm that only one of each ID has ever been made.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed light on why this may be happening and if you require any other information or details of tracking code implemented then please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Justin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Occurrences of the Same Transaction

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Justin,

Look for any correlations first. Set up a custom segment with sessions with this e-commerce transaction ID only and browse through relevant reports in this segment only. Look for country, city, operating system/browser versions, screen resolution, service provider etc. if it's a single user or a bunch of different users showing that apparent behaviour.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your reply. I will try setting up the custom segment like you say to see if it shows anything up and get back to you when I have some data.

Thanks again for your help.

Justin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Justin,

In addition to setting up a segment with this transaction ID to see if it's just one user or a few (as Christoph has already mentioned), try creating the following custom report:

Dimension 1 = Transaction ID
Dimension 2 = Page
Metric = Unique Purchases
Filter = your Transaction ID in question

Then see what page got recorded for that transaction ID on different days.

Hope this helps to spot the issue.

Cheers,

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your reply.

The custom segment seems to be showing so far that it is just the one user for each transaction ID that is duplicating. I will set up the custom report as you have detailed above to see what the page is that is getting recorded. We have thought whether the users are bookmarking the page as it has the order confirmation details on it but when we have tried testing this and we try opening the bookmark, we are getting the standard error page as it hadn't been created by going through the order sequence.

Someone also mentioned the other day that it could be a cookie problem but not had chance to look into that one yet.

Many thanks again for your help.

Justin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Justin,

Since it's only one user using the same transaction, I would think that it would be an implementation issue whereby the user in question can actually access that Thank You or Confirmation page again which is where you trigger your transaction event.

I'd recommend taking a look at this post for duplicate transaction issues as I think it does a great job of detailing issues that sound like yours and has a thorough discussion of the various cases to check into, as well as how to go about fixing the issue.

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/07/07/duplicate-transactions/

Let me know if this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the post and let you know how we get on.

Thanks again.

Justin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Justin,

Just wondering... did you get to the bottom of this? I a having a very similar issue - any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Darrren

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Darren,

Unfortunately not fully. The best conclusion we came to was it was happening because people were returning to the site through a bookmark they had set up which is some how triggering the analytics code to register it as a transaction.

We intend to take a good look at the booking process however our developers have been extremely busy working on other tasks and some of our other websites.

Not sure if this helps in any way but hopefully it may point you in a direction that will solve it for you.

Thanks,

Justin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply. We've semi-ruled out the bookmark possibility as, it doesn't seem possible to return to the confirmation page on our site via a bookmark - similar to your site, if a user goes through a bookmark they are met with an error page as it hadn't been created by going through the order sequence... Back to the drawing board - will let you know of any progress!

Darren