AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Monitoring which page a user converted on

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

Our website has a goal (the goal is tracked using event tracking) that is triggered every time someone presses the 'buy now' button, which exists across many different product pages on the site. All buy now clicks then pull together under the 'buy now' label.

What would be the most accurate way to monitor which page this button is actually clicked on, if that makes sense? Are any of the below accurate?

I have looked at the following three ways and all give very different results:

1. Conversion > Goals > Goal URLs > Goal Completion Location. Are the number of goal completions equal to the number that took place on that page?

2. Behaviour > Unique Events > Event Label. Filter event labels to contain "buy now" and use Secondary Dimension > Page. Would the number of events therefore be the number of times the button was clicked by page?

3. Create an advanced segment where conditions are: sessions include event label exactly matching "buy now". Go to "All Pages" and the number of unique pageviews for each page will be equal to the number of unique buy now clicks that took place on this page?

Sorry if I haven't made much sense!

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Monitoring which page a user converted on

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pegal,

1. Conversion > Goals > Goal URLs > Goal Completion Location. Are the number of goal completions equal to the number that took place on that page?
Yes the number equals to how many times a goal has been completed for that exact page. Please note that Goals are tracked once per session so if a person clicks the buy button on a different page subsequently the same goal will not be counted +1 but the total events count will go +1.

2. Behaviour > Unique Events > Event Label. Filter event labels to contain "buy now" and use Secondary Dimension > Page. Would the number of events therefore be the number of times the button was clicked by page?
Yes this will give you the number of times an event has happened on a specific page - this number will probably never be the same as the goal count though.

3. Create an advanced segment where conditions are: sessions include event label exactly matching "buy now". Go to "All Pages" and the number of unique pageviews for each page will be equal to the number of unique buy now clicks that took place on this page?
No. The all pages report will show all pages from all sessions which match the condition inside the Segment definition.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks a lot, this is a really helpful reply. Why would unique events for no.2 and no.1 not have the same result if the goal is an event goal? I ask as it would be much easier to look into the results this way but don't want to report the wrong results

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Pegal,

the answer you get from event report is how many times inside a session a unique combination of event based dimensions happen - so the report highly depends on what you provide as category / action / label combo. With goal the answer is a bit different - each goal based report says only if a person inside a session did a goal or not so it is basically 0 or 1.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So if I specify that the label must exactly match the label that is used for the goal, will unique events still not match the number of goals completed then then? Sorry, I'm a little confused!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi, in the case that you have the same button label and all other dimensions static then the count will be the same goals = unique events.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you! Smiley Happy