Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Missing 15% - 20% of Transactions in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

we implemented Google Analytics on a Magento shop system some months ago. Comparing the transactions in Google Analytics with the real amount, we are missing around 15% up to 20% of the orders in GA.

I started comparing the missing orders with the others but apart from a slightly higher amount of paypal orders I coud not find any pattern like payment method, customer type, amount of products, order coupons etc.

The number of pageviews on the order-success page equals to the amount of transactions in GA.

I know that GA does not collect all data but an amount of 15% to 20% of missing orders seems to be too high.

I spent hours considering any kind of possibilities but I don't know what the reason could be. Do you have any ideas?

Best regards,

Eric

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Missing 15% - 20% of Transactions in GA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

these are usually very tough nuts to crack and I'm afraid there is little success without access to the data. I am usually satisfied with 5% error range, 15-20 is just too high.

What version of GA are you using?

I understood that all transactions end up to the same thank you page, can you confirm this? Or that all thank you pages contain the ecom tracking code?

Do you have orderid visible in URL before checkout where GA could pick it up? I am wondering if you can track those visits at all or does the tracking fail in the checkout phase...

If all missing transactions are divided evenly throughout the day and location and between all the data you can see it could mean that GA code does not have enough time to fire (this is very unlikely nowadays)

These are few cases that I have encountered along the way, it would be great if I could see the data but I understand in most cases it is not possible. I do my best to help you solve this.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,

thanks for your help!

Yes, all transactions end up on the same success page which is tagged with the Ecommerce code.

I am using Universal Analytics.

Unfortunately the OrderID is not part of the URL so I am not able to track the missing orders.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
OK we need to start testing stuff:

Could you place the following code to your checkout page just after the actual tracking code:
ga('send', 'event', 'Orders', 'Complete', print ORDERID here);

This way we can test if it is just that the eCom code does not get executed and we get more information about our mystery shoppers flying under the radar.
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your willingness to help!

If I look at (Behaviour -> Site Content -> All Pages) the unique pageviews of the success page equals exactly the amount of transactions displayed in Google Analytics. The Amount of Pageviews is twice as high. (Why?)

So I think every user which sees the confirmation page (and a pageview command is sent) is received by google. Else the number of unique pageviews would be greater, right?

If I'd place that event I think the order IDs would be the same

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The Event Snippet is implemented and will go live this day. I'm curious about the results. Thanks for the approach!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
So you mean the number of unique page views is same as the number of transactions in your back-end?

This would mean that either eCom code does not fire because there is an error in input or it has not enough time to complete before user exits the page...
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No I mean that the number of unique pageviews is same as number of transactions in Google Analytics. So I think the ecommerce part works well and maybe there are some redirection errors.. Or am I being wrong here?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Then we might not see any missing transactionIds in events... this would mean that we miss the whole page hit possibly the whole session.

Can you tell the earliest point where orderId is present? Could you place the same event tracking code there? Just change 'Complete' to 'Cart' for example.

What I'm trying is to get more data about those orders that get missed if there could be a clue, common nominator.

Does Magneto have more info about the user in the back end? Referral, browser, device etc?
--

Missing 15% - 20% of Transactions in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eric, were you able to resolve this issue? We're coming across a very similar problem with enhanced google analytics through our datalayer.