Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Minute fluctuations in Ecommerce figures

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I've noticed that as I refresh the Ecommerce page through the day, the total sales amount will constantly fluctuate.

There is no increase in transactions, and the fluctuation is minute.

For example, this morning, the sales as displayed in Analytics was £2,142.84.

15 minutes later, it is now £2,139.46.

2 hours later, it is now £2,413.25.

There's no increase in transactions, or any other recording parameters, which leads me to believe this could be a currency fluctuation thing.

However, my Analytics is set to record transactions in GBP (£), from the website.

My website prices are in GBP (£).

So there should be no currency change involved - the only thing I can think of is that Google records prices in GBP (£), then for some reason when it goes through Analytics, it gets converted to USD ($), then when it's displayed to me, it's converted back into GBP (£) hence giving that tiny bit of change.

Does anyone know the answer?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author S T
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah - you are looking at multiple days of data -- if your website received more than 250,000 visits (500,000 if you select Greater precision)  over that time period, you are looking at a sampled report. Never expect transaction/revenue(/or goal) numbers to be accurate if the report is sampled. Shorten the time period on your report to reduce sampling. 

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

GA records the number as a number, there is no conversion. More likely you are seeing the effect of delayed processing on your site. The raw GA tracking data is processed into summary tables that drive the reports. It can take up to 24 hours for that processing to finish, but it is usually much faster. Same-day reports are subject to change...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Minute fluctuations in Ecommerce figures

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

google analytics cray.PNGHi mate,

What you are saying cannot be what is actually happening.

As I've mentioned in my first post, the sales revenue number will fluctuate up and down as I refresh the page every 5-10 minutes. The number of transactions does NOT change.

I've tried manually exporting the Ecommerce page as an XLSX file, take a look at this, it shows the transaction amounts are clearly changing.

This is just with a 10 minute difference. Additionally, I had one transaction (in the yellow line) just disappear. It re-appeared later when I refreshed the report again. Later in the day, it disappeared again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author S T
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah - you are looking at multiple days of data -- if your website received more than 250,000 visits (500,000 if you select Greater precision)  over that time period, you are looking at a sampled report. Never expect transaction/revenue(/or goal) numbers to be accurate if the report is sampled. Shorten the time period on your report to reduce sampling. 

Re: Minute fluctuations in Ecommerce figures

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You genius, you.

Is it this?

Even though I selected Greater Precision, it still can only automatically sample 89%, hence the slight inaccuracy. Correct?

ga sample.PNG