Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Mechanism behind "Media play" option when defining Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to track video plays on my site by setting up a Goal in Analytics.

When defining a Goal in Google Analytics, you can choose a "media play" template and then set a goal type (like duration) and then how long somebody needs to watch the video for the goal to register.

Does anybody know what mechanism allows UA to know that a video has been played? 

Thanks.

Re: Mechanism behind "Media play" option when defining Goals

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniel,
you have to create a google analytics event that track the different video status, example:
Play, stop, 30% 50%, etc

to do this you need to know how to track user interaction with the video player.
here you can find a very nice guide from luna metrics on how track YouTube player
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/05/11/updated-youtube-tracking-google-analytics-gtm/
Fil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi FIl,

Hey thanks for response. You know, that was my understanding too...that I have to pass in custom events (using category, action, label and value) for my video events, so UA knows what's going on. (I'm actually doing this now from a WordPress page using the gtm4wp plugin and some custom variables and triggers I set up on Google Tag Manager.)

But here's what's weird: when you're defining your goal in Google Analytics, you can select the "Media Play" template in Goal Setup. You then proceed to the Goal Description. Now here you have four options, all of which ostensibly apply to the interactive media that you want to track: destination, duration, pages/screens per session, and event. Since I in my head I'm thinking "I want to see when videos are played for more than a few seconds," I select "duration."

If you select "duration," though, how does UA know what you are trying to track? The only thing you can customize in the next step ("Goal details") is the actual duration you're talking about. There's no field to talk about what the media is or any of it's properties.

Or, is it the case that there should be some help text in this wizard saying "If you want to track videos, you should only select 'event' and no destination, duration or pages/screens per session." If that's the case, then yes I can see how you then on the details page define the four properties -- category, action, label and value -- to match what you're sending, in my case via GTM.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Daniel

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniel,
event is one of the solution to track video, but someone for some reason maybe prefer to create a virtual url, so destination is the only solution to create the goal.

For example think about a publisher that want to track on the banner that are showing into the video and have page view to count all the impression with a metric useful to enforce his inventory.

Fil