AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Measuring conversion on another website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I need your help with the following problem related to measuring conversions. So i have a site lets say mysite.com. If someone clicks on the buy button here they go to another site to enter their details and stuff which is let us say buysite.com. when the purchase is complete the thank you url takes them back to mysite so url is mysite.com/thankyou (which i have also set as a destination url for my goal lets say goal 5).

Now when i see source/medium for goal 5 it is always pointing to buysite.com and i have no idea where the traffic actually came from to begin with for example social media, organic or somewhere else.

How would you guys solve this problem?

I tried another strategy to solve this too which is to set up an event which records when someone went to buysite.com, but the thing is that a lot of people don't complete the purchase. So if there is a way in which i can see which sessions led to triggering an event and at the same time visited that thank you page the issue might be resolved. A small detail that i am however unaware of is if a session expires if someone clicks on an outgoing link which opens in the same tab as the website, or is it still the same session if user comes back to the site within 30 minutes.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Measuring conversion on another website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You need to add buysite.com to the Referral Exclusion list under Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info.

Users who are returning as direct will still have that source because direct does not overwrite the referral source. They will disappear as they reach the campaign timeout, 6 months by default.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital