AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Measuring Impressions and Clicks on Related Posts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am building a related posts function on my website - what is the best way to measure the impressions and clicks that each related post receives? I want to easily be able to view the click-through-rate for each related post.

I could fire an event for impressions and ad event for clicks with each post name as the label but it seems like that would not be the most efficient solution.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Measuring Impressions and Clicks on Related Posts

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Casey,

That is typically the way I used to recommend doing this. Make sure the impression event is a non-interaction event so you don't skew your bounce rate. It's not the cleanest as it's not calculated in GA.

You could do a duplicate view where you collect a virtual pageview for each impression (this would be filtered out of other views) e.g. /related-post/impression/nameofrelatedpost and then a virtual pageview for a click e.g. /related-post/click/nameofrelatedpost the beauty of this is that you could configure a goal matching the click pattern and a first funnel step for the impression. You could use goal starts/ completions in a calculated metric and also use the normal goal flow and funnel viz reports. ( I like this idea and may test it to ferret out any flaws Smiley Happy )

That said, I haven't looked at possibly looking at Enhanced Ecommerce for this as it does have this kind of functionality built-in so why not use it? Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn