Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Measuring Impressions and Clicks on Related Posts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am building a related posts function on my website - what is the best way to measure the impressions and clicks that each related post receives? I want to easily be able to view the click-through-rate for each related post.

I could fire an event for impressions and ad event for clicks with each post name as the label but it seems like that would not be the most efficient solution.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Measuring Impressions and Clicks on Related Posts

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Casey,

That is typically the way I used to recommend doing this. Make sure the impression event is a non-interaction event so you don't skew your bounce rate. It's not the cleanest as it's not calculated in GA.

You could do a duplicate view where you collect a virtual pageview for each impression (this would be filtered out of other views) e.g. /related-post/impression/nameofrelatedpost and then a virtual pageview for a click e.g. /related-post/click/nameofrelatedpost the beauty of this is that you could configure a goal matching the click pattern and a first funnel step for the impression. You could use goal starts/ completions in a calculated metric and also use the normal goal flow and funnel viz reports. ( I like this idea and may test it to ferret out any flaws Smiley Happy )

That said, I haven't looked at possibly looking at Enhanced Ecommerce for this as it does have this kind of functionality built-in so why not use it? Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn