Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Major Bug with Custom Reports

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to create a report where I can see Goal Completions (by individual goal names) vs Total users, in a breakdown by all pages in my website.

As a start, I simply try to create a custom report that will show my all goal completions, by page.

I don't get any results, even though conversion are being tracked properly. the only data i get shows inside some weird brackets:

goals1.png

In the pre-made defualt reports, a similar report -  called Goals Overview URL - works fine, showing the goals broken down by pages:

goals2.png

But I need a custom report because I want to add a metric of total users, and also metrics of individual goals.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Major Bug with Custom Reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jay,

Not all metrics and dimensions are combinable and; unfortunately, what your trying to do is not available in the same call. It's a little confusing but metrics can be calculated and dimensions set based on the hit, session or user and you generally can't mix them.

Help doc is here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033861

I would use the sheets plugin and separate calls to do this via the API.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/google-analytics-spreadsheet-add-on

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I was told in the following thread that it is suposed to be possible, as the person who replied to the thread said he had success with it:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Tracking-Goals-Ecommerce/Goal-for-clicking-on-element/td-p...

If this type of report really can't be generated, than analytics is completely useless for me.
Do I really need to hire a programmer just to generate such a simple report? this is ridiculous.

My motivation for this report is very simple:

Let's assume I have 50 different pages, and for each one I have a separate Adwords campaign.

Each page contains two main goals that I want the user to complete, one after the other (goal A and goal B).
If too many users don't complete them, it means that I will have to make adjustment either to the specific page, or to the specific Adwords campaign, and thus the depth of the report is extremely important.

Therefore, I need a report that depicts the following info:

1. For each page, how many unique visitors arrived in total.
2. Out of these visitors - how many completed Goal A? (so I can get a percentage - was it only 5%? or maybe 70%?)
3. Out of these visitors - how many completed Goal B?

I need to be able to distinguish which pages under-perform, and among each page, I need to distinguish between goals, since for me, users who don't complete *Both* goals (A+B) indicate that the campaign is doing bad, but knowing if they at least completed Goal A will shed a lot of light about the adjustment that is required.

From a player like Google I would expect this very basic option, without resorting to custom made and paid api solutions.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Jay,

The problem comes when you want to mix in users which are calculated based on your date range and span many sessions. To use the API with the sheets plug-in is very easy and does not require a programmer.

That said, most of you want can be done without any customization. For example you could use either the campaigns report or the landing pages report and select the goal set tab.

ss landing pages report.pngss campaigns report.pngss goal set.png

Both of these reports, when selecting the goal set that has your "A" and "B" goal will show you the total sessions and conversion rates for each goal.  (For other readers of this post:  If the "A" goal is a step in the funnel and is not an event -- which I believe it is in this case -- you could use the "B" goal and construct a funnel.)  If you want the actual goal counts, rather than the rates you can go the campaign report and click the customize button and change from goal conversion rates to goal completion counts in a new custom report.  You can also delete the other tabs of the report if you'd like so that you are only looking at goal sets. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn