AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Leaving Goal Value Blank validation error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In order to add a value to a Goal in Analytics, documentation suggests I need to turn the Value "on" and leave the Value "blank". However, when I try to turn "on" the Value and leave it "blank" I get the validation error saying "Please enter a number that is different from zero." 

I seem to be stuck in a validation loop. Do you have any trouble shooting tips?

Ecommerce data values are being reported in the Conversions -> Ecommerce reports.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 12.41.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 12.40.50 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Leaving Goal Value Blank validation error

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

It seems that Google needs to update that text, in earlier version there was no value toggle switch so if you didn't want to track values you just had to leave the value field blank. In the current version once switched on you need to enter a value greater than zero.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for your reply.

In the case of an Ecommerce store, what is the reccommended input value for the field when the value changes per transaction?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

It is recommended to leave it switched off and set up ecommerce tracking for tracking the transaction values. You can track the checkout funnel using your goal and the transaction values using ecommerce tracking.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital