Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Killer email campaign clicks without the right results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I launched an email campaign just recently which had killer results with clicks to my page. The main link was http://importradar.com/asia-trade-data/ with overall 54 unique clicks, plus plenty other links with awesome results, but when I checked my Google Analytics report and customization, I didn't get the total amount of sessions and visitors. As a matter of fact, it only reported overall 5 sessions and 4 users during the day! There's no way it's the right result.

I double checked all other traffic and it seems to be fine, but not sure why the outcome was like that.

Any suggestions?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You need to ensure that Google Analytics code is properly implemented across your website. Also the discrepancies between clicks and sessions is a common issue. You can find details here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Killer email campaign clicks without the right results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @pankaj1782

Thanks for your feedback.

It's placed through the custom script theme options I get and embed the Google Script. Isn't that enough?

Moreover, I don't get why the discrepancies between clicks and sessions. Shouldn't Analytics figured this out already?

It's not like the Adwords measure, which this stood out for me:

AdWords automatically filters certain clicks from your reports, while Analytics reports on all the resulting sessions. The clicks we filter from your AdWords reports are the occasional instances of someone clicking repeatedly on your ad in order to increase your costs or to increase your clickthrough rate. AdWords considers these clicks to be invalid and automatically filters them from your AdWords reports. You are not charged for these potentially invalid clicks

What I understand Analytics reports all sessions, which if you have unique clicks in an email campaign, that's consider one session. Plus, from what I understood, Adwords is only measured on Google Ads, whereas any click on a link from anywhere referral source, is solely Analytics.

I'm still confused with why it's being altered.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No feedback yet!? That's disappointing, I was expecting more insights from experts with this.

I guess no-one has time nowadays.

Thanks anyway. 

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

As well as code implementation you should also check whether links in your emails, that point to your site, are tagged with UTM parameters. If not they may end up as a referral or direct, and are thus overlooked. You could also check which links are being clicked (your email tool should tell you this). Also, if the email is linking to a redirected page then this could strip away the utm parameters. A link which sends visitors first to an untracked sub-domain or domain could also do the same. Recommend that you click on links from an email yourself and check to see what happens (use a combination of real time reports, tag assistant, GA debugger and the standard reports).

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @John W,

I do check the links being clicked with my email tool, that's why I was able to figure out they were 54 unique clicks.

I guess the UTM feature is a must for this. I didn't quite expect that it was a must and thought that just by adding the webpage link would do the trick.

So, I gotta do something specific with the pages which have the links before I apply UTM features and paste them into the email campaign, like through Google Analytics or Google Wemasters or just by adding them, the UTM features should do the trick?

Re: Killer email campaign clicks without the right results

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rolando. In your email you need the hyperlinks to have the utm parameters. Some email systems do this automatically but doesn't sound like yours has this feature. SO for instance you have right now

<a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/">Visit My Website</a> 

Instead it should be this (with whatever parameters you set that make sense for your tracking purposes.

<a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/?utm_source=Killer%20Email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Summer%20Sale%20Event">Visit My Website</a>

Here is a google tool to assist you if you are not familiar with creating utm parameters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. I had checked it out before and thought the same, that my email system (which is Mailchimp, by the way) already took care of this.

Guess it really doesn't.

So, it has to be the name of the campaign I assign to it or the subject from email campaign? 'Cause I usually just list my newsletters Campaign 1, 2, 3 and so forth. Which is the best option?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can use whatever you want. Those are just examples. Use whatever makes it the easiest to track on your end. PS I thought mailchimp did it automatically as well!