AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Keywords That Lead To Multiple Visits Custom Dimensions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I would like to be able to track any search terms for initial visits that resulted follow up visits (regardless of channel). I feel like custom dimensions is the way to go, but I am not quite sure how to get this done.

So for instance, I have 5 people come to the site by searching Google for "blue widgets" (paid or organic). Combined, those people make 7 more follow-up visits through various channels. I want to able to see that "blue widgets" resulted 7 additional return sessions.

I saw something somewhat similar, I believe, on a blog. It was an older article using custom variables (we are using universal analytics), but figure it might lend itself to the solution here. They were:

• How many times has this visitor come and viewed support articles over the past year? _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',3,'Total Articles','6',1]);
  • Tracking customer loyalty is a big thing. Start with a custom variable with 0 purchases and every time they make a purchase, increment the count. _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',2,'Purchases','6',1])

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords That Lead To Multiple Visits Custom Dimensions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

in essence you could store the KW value (if one is available) in a custom dimension (user scope) which will be written once per user - this needs to be technically implemented in terms of if the value has already been set do not override it on subsequent visits.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Zorin. I am not as familiar with custom dimensions as I am variables (haven't really used GA since prior to Universal Analytics). So I need to look into how to do the things you mention. So if you have any support articles (or blog articles) that lend itself to this usage, it would be appreciated. I will get to searching myself.

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi David,

there are similarities with custom variables. Try with the help docs first - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en. You will need some help with setting the custom dimension later on on once per user basis (javascript and cookies).

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net