AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Issues with Regex Goals / Funnels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there, 
I have had troubles setting up goal funnels for tracking drop-offs in a form. There are several forms with the same issue, where only the first step of the funnel is tracked, and the rest are not. So it appears that it is a 0% drop off rate from Step 2–Step 5 which is highly unlikely, unfortunately. Been troubleshooting all steps but can't make it work. 

The goals are uri based with a thank you-page, and I can track all conversions from there but not the actual drop offs within the form. The setup is with regex so I think the issue must be there. Se screenshots.

Screenshot 2017-06-28 11.26.13.png

Screenshot 2017-06-28 11.30.03.png
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Sara D,

What are some of the exact URLs for each of the funnel steps?

The first step looks off to me as it's just "/bli-fadder" without anything in the front or behind it, like a ".*" or something... might be worth looking into that. But I'm interested in seeing what steps you might have.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

The uri:s are set up using history fragments (they differ depending on what amount you choose) and they look like this:

Step 1: Choose amount = /bli-fadder/?amount

Step 2: Choose country = bli-fadder/?amount=100#step=2
Step 3: Enter address = bli-fadder/?amount=100#step=3

Step 4: Payment = bli-fadder/?amount=100#step=4

Then a unique receipt page that has this regex:/\/bli-fadder\/\?order_received=\d+&key=.*/

Any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

OK, it might be because you have hash fragments so that the #step=2 and #step=3 and #step=4 are not actually visible to GA. Are you modifying the page path before sending the data to GA, so that the hash is included? If not, then GA won't track those by default and you'll have to modify your data. If you are using GTM, then you can use the history change listener to help, but you would still need to modify your pageview tag to include the hash.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for this. I have checked that the unique uri's are registered as pageviews, i.e "/https://sos-barnbyar.se/bli-fadder/?amount=200?step=2". They do not include the actual # though. Is that a problem, and/or something I need to adjust within the regex? We have a GTM setup with history change listener, although I am not the one who did that setup so not entirely sure how it works.

Very thankful for your input!