AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Invalid Transactions IDs in Google Analytics - How to Fix/Filter?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am facing unique challenge in the GA that I am managing, and I will straight away go to the problem...

I have an ecommerce setup done in a way that everything is getting recorded properly apart from 1 issue i.e. # of transactions getting over reported than actuals.

Further digging down I came to know that there are lot of invalid "Transaction IDs" getting recorded with original transaction with ZERO revenue to each of them. I am attaching screen grab of the same. All IDs without TRN- are invalid.

I am diagnosing how can I avoid, system sending these transaction IDs.

Meanwhile want to either create a a filtered view/advance segmentation which will filter out all invalid IDs and show me actual # of transactions.

Click here for screen grab...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid Transactions IDs in Google Analytics - How to Fix/Filter?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi James,
This isn't something that has a common solution.
You'll need to step through your checkout process with a header checker and the Google Tag Assistant chrome extension to see what hits (which include transaction data) are being sent to GA at each step (but likely the final step).

There's no reason I can think of that would cause this (apart from maybe eCommerce spam) except something in your checkout process and your configuration with the ecommerce GA setup.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am looking in to the entire funnel and trying to fix this. However is there no way I can create a filtered view / advance segmentation which will just remove all these transaction IDs.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi James
You could try that but you'd need to write the regex statement based on what pattern you see.

1. Create a Custom Report.
2. Set the filter at the bottom to "Exclude" Transaction (Under Conversions) Regex clarity.
3. Build whatever reports you were going to use. For example, for Traffic Sources, you can do a flat table with Source as a Dimension and Pageviews, Unique Pageview, Revenue, etc., as Dimensions.

However, I would not take that approach. I would cancel the transactions. You can find more information here on how to do this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1037443?hl=en

Hope that helps.