Analytics
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Goal URL for File Download

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am tracking the download of a file from my website. In the goal URL report there are a few goal completions in invalid locations such as (entrance). I am using Google Tag Manager to trigger the events, and the condition for the event is that it must occur on a download page. I do not see how the event could be firing on a page other than the download page. I even tried enabling the GTM preview mode and clicked on all the links on the entrance page to see if somehow the event is misfiring. I found nothing. 

Although, they account for less than one percent of the goal completions, I am still curious to find out why these conversions are being misreported. I found this post already https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Tracking-Goals/Wrong-URLs-in-Goal-Complet..., but I don't think that I have the same problem.

Incorrect Goal URL for File Download

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here. I am also getting invalid goal URLs for my thank you pages in the goal URL report. I also use event based goals that are triggered via Google Tag Manager. And I also got values like "(entrance)" as goal URL and some very different other URLs that I have never setup in GTM. For testing purposes I have "cloned" the event based goals and created destination based goals with a goal funnel to check if the overall goal values between both methods are similar.

All cloned goals, the event based and the destination based, have exactly the same thank you page URL. The only difference is that the event based goals are being matched on a GTM tag label that will be executed when a trigger with the correct value of the variable "Page URL" fires.

The overall goal counter of both goals is in fact identical but, as a said, the goal URL report is different. The destination goal shows always and only the correct URL whereas the event based goal shows the URL right BEFORE the thank you page to approx. 70% (The URL before the thank you page is a registration form), then the correct URL to approx. 20%. The rest is a bunch of different URLs like "(entrance)" and some other URLs.

However I had the thesis that it could have something to do with the timing and when the triggers are being fired. Maybe the processing of the registration form takes too long and in cause of that the tag is executed with the wrong page URL instead.

So I have started a test today where I reconfigured the GTM triggers and switched the trigger type from "pageview" to "pageview - DOM ready". My tests are not finished yet but at the moment approx. 97% of the URLs in the goal completion location report have the correct thank you page URL. However Analytics is still showing some few other URLs like "(entrance)" and the "before page". So maybe you could try to reconfigure your trigger setup in GTM and test if you get any better results when using "DOM ready" or even "Window Loaded" as trigger type. Any other hints and suggestions are welcome.