Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Include Hostname Filter - Removing Revenue from report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a Include > Hostname > Filter to remove so called "ghost spam"

When I look at the filtered and unfiltered data I see this attached.

Filtered Traffic.png

The hostname filter is blocking out some of the direct traffic not contributing to revenue. Is this hostname filter redundant when thinking from a referral exclusion angle or am I missing something? Links are welcome. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Include Hostname Filter - Removing Revenue from report?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me expand in it more. I have seen this issue come up and want to use this as a case and will troubleshoot it to eliminate certain items.

1. Checkout is on subdomain - no XDT
2. Will implement GTM and monitor data over next 30 days.

Intent:

Solve an anomaly where the hostname filtered blocked out eCommerce data for a filtered property view.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This happens with some ecommerce providers (and call tracking services) because of how the transaction data is sent to GA. Check your Unfiltered view (you do have one of those, don't you?) and see what hostname is used for the transaction hits.

I have solved it in the past by building a filter that looks for a specific type of hit and sets the hostname to a valid value.
e.g. Custom > Advanced filter
Field A: Request URI "/checkout/*"
Output to: Hostname "validhostname.com"

Make sure that this filter is ABOVE the valid hostname filter in the ordered list, as they are executed in order from top down.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Of course--I compared 2 views in the data. I'll drill down to see if that's possible. Thank you for the suggestion and I'll observe the data.